cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a good abc file for OCR

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am attempting to programatically generate training data for my text recognition VI. I found a pre-exisiting VI (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-26398) which takes a string of characters and generates an .abc. However the results weren't too precise. A minor increase in detection rate was achieved by adding duplicate characters but in different size. However, "IMAQ OCR Train" is capable of handling 255 characters, so I cannot create an enormous amount of characters for the training data nor am I confident the result would be that much better for it either. I was capable of creating another .abc file by manually identifying the characters in "Vision Assistant" VI, but the difference between the methods was neglible and the latter was much more time consuming and less reusable.

My questions are the following:

How could could I create a better training data set utilizing the attached VI?

Would it be feasible to generate multiple abc files and aggregate them into one?

When displaying data, display it in a manner that a 7 year old can understand.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,751 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mahael
I think you can merge character set files in NI OCR Training interface.
Thanks
uday
Message 2 of 5
(4,735 Views)

Thank you for the tip regarding the merging, I will generate a number of abcs and merge, hopefully it will give more precise estimates.

EDIT: Initial tests indicate that the merging significantly improved detection

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,731 Views)

Hi, is there an option to merge two abc files inside a VI?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,453 Views)

Starting a new thread is more likely to net you an answer than resurrecting a 2+ year old thread.

I do not currently have access to vision development module so I cannot help you out, sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,258 Views)