Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour 1429

Hi. Could you please tell me if the PCIe-1429 supports colour images. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,990 Views)

Yep,

But only if the camera does! 🙂

AdamB

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,987 Views)
Good! I have a colour Basler A504kc camera. I just can't seem to see colour when I grab frames using MAX. Is there a setting I need to adjust.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,984 Views)

Hi again,

Do you have the right camera file for the camera?

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/nipc.product?pid=3803

it might also be a case of setting up the right bayer settings.  The manufacturer shoule give you the bayer information and you just need to match this inside of MAX (bayer settings)

Post back if you still have a problem

Thanks

AdamB

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,981 Views)
I've already downloaded the camera file, which works fine in greyscale. I thought it might be due to setting the bayer pattern as you suggested. However, I can't seem to find the settings anywhere. Cheers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,959 Views)
Just to add to that. I read in the help file something about a Bayer Colour tab, but I can't find it. Also the camera file says A504k, which is a greyscale camera, even though I downloaded the one from the A504kc webpage.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,957 Views)
Ah!

Well that's the problem then.  We need to make sure you have the right camera file.  I don't suppose Basler have any on their support pages do they?
I can't seem to find one at the moment.  It is sometimes the case that we haven't caught up with the manufacturer to create the appropriate camera file and so you may have to update the file yourself.
However there is some good news.  We have developed a program that will help you do this it's called the Camera file generator and it can be found here.

If you have a look at the resources tab of the first link you should get a good understanding of what you would need to do in order to update your camera file.

I would however still try the manufacturer.

Thanks

AdamB
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,938 Views)

Hi. I installed the camera file generator. I selected selected Basler manufacturer and typed A504kc for model. Acquisition timeout 3000ms. Maximum scan size 1280x1024. The NI 1429 IMAQ device was already selected.

But according to the camera specifications there are 10 eight-bit taps, but the camera file generator only allows a maximum of 8. When I click "grab" I get an acquisition timeout error for anything but the tiniest AOI.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,927 Views)
Hi Gary,

Can you try and acquire a colour image from your camera, I know it will come back as a blocky greyscale image. Please can you then save the image as BMP file. It must be a bitmap file, jpg will lose the information we need. Then we can apply a bayer decoding algorithm in a VI, to convert back to colour.

There is so much information being passed down the cameralink cable, that sending the data as a colour image is not feasable, because memory would not be able to handle the amount of data. Even with the decoding algoritm, you might find you run into memory spped issues with this method.

Regards
JamesC
NIUK and Ireland

Message 9 of 12
(4,848 Views)
Hi,
Actually, I managed to use the Bayer decoder in a VI to retrieve the colour image. I can also see colour in the White Balancing Utility. It just seems to be MAX where it only works in greyscale now.
Cheers
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,841 Views)