Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot adjust camera properties in NI-MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I have run into a problem where I cannot see or adjust camera properties (both GigE and USB cameras) on some computers in our lab.  On 'good' computers I can adjust properties, perform a snap or grab, etc.; but on the problem machines the camera(s) show up in the list of devices in NI-MAX, but snap, grab, the tabs for adjusting properties, etc. are missing/not-available.  There is no red-mark or other indication of problems in NI-MAX, we just don't have camera options available. (screen grabs are attached).

These are identical Dell computers running windows 10. 

Even on the problem computers I can see that the cameras are working properly in the driver software provided by the camera manufacturer.  I'm able to perform the equivalent of a 'grab' in the vendors software.

I've tried comparing all the installed software, updating firmware, reloading drivers, running CameraValidator, etc. but still have no clue what is going on. - My GigE cameras are the Allied Vision MANTA series, and USB cameras are Matrix Vision BlueFOX

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,447 Views)

Hi djb,

I understand, that you have problem with MANTA, no problems with USB camera.
Watching your screenshot I expect, that your problem may cause IP address.
Some software, like IMAQdx, AV VIMVA, have problem connecting camera with LLA address (169.254....).  E/g JAI software has not such problem.

Please check what IP address the camera have with the "good" computer.
Is it not LLA = 169.254.... ?  E/g: 192.168....  or 10.10....?  If yes - the LLA IP is the problem.
But if you start another software, which connects the camera, than NI IMAQ also connects the camera.

Please try:

1. Start NI MAX > start another software, that works with the camera > stop the another software, switch it off to free the camera > you shall see the camera in NI MAX and you shall have full access to the camera.
or, the better solution

2. Set private persistent IP in the NIC and in the camera (192.168. ... ot 10.10. ...). I do not know how to set camera IP in LV or MAX. You can do it in AV VIMBA.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,366 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not appear to be the issue.

For clarification, I'm unable to adjust properties on any of the installed cameras (MV BlueFox USB camera or MANTA GIG-E camera)

On the GIG-E cameras, the IP addresses are similar between the 'good' and 'bad' computers - 169.245.51.111 on the good and 169.254.93.36 on the bad.

Starting NI-MAX first, followed by starting the manufacturers software had no apparent effect.  The camera works in the manufacturer's software, but still cannot access any options or perform a grab in NI-MAX.

I did see one thing on the USB camera that I had not noticed before - On the 'good' computer the USB camera has a little camera icon; but on the 'bad' computer the icon is a little dot with a question mark.  I assume that means NI-MAX doesn't know what the device is...but how can I correct that?  Again, the manufacturers software recognizes the camera w/ no error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,348 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author djb

Did you install the full version of IMAQdx?  I had a similar problem recently and realized my installer was only installing the runtime version of IMAQdx, which does not include configuration abilities in MAX.  At the same time, the driver that installed for the camera was not the NI driver, but I couldn't switch it easily using MAX.  I had to go to Device Manager in Windows and manually change the driver.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 4 of 7
(3,344 Views)

I did have an older version of IMAQdx installed; but since it was older than the runtime version (17.5) I went ahead and installed the complete Vision Acquisition System version 17.5.

However, no luck in solving my problem.  I can still see the camera in NI-MAX but I have no attributes tabs, cannot perform a grab, etc..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,315 Views)

After some further work, I do think installing a new version of IMAQdx was key to solving this problem.  I also had to remove and reinstall a camera driver.

Recommend anyone facing a similar problem install the complete Vision Acquisition Software, available in the download section.

Message 6 of 7
(3,293 Views)

Just a follow up to this thread. I have just had a similar problem with a target install using an IDS USB3 Vision camera. Not only do you have to install the full version of VAS after installing NI-MAX, but you need to change the driver for the camera in NI-MAX back to the original (IDS) one, and then change it back to the NI-IMAQdx driver from within NI-MAX. That appear to then correctly load up all the drivers and pointers, and gives you configuration information etc and a test panel for the camera. Just installing the NI driver under Windows does not give a working system - although it looks like it should, and the camera appears to the software.

This is pretty sutble! so it would help to have some formal NI process recommendations for installing cameras on target systems where the development system is not available. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,586 Views)