From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't communicate with camera (PCIe 1430 CameraLink and Vieworks VN-16MC M4)

We have a Vieworks VN-16MC M4 camera (older model, so no real info on it out there other than datasheets). The Cameralink card we're using is an NI PCIe-1430. Using Vieworks Configurator software, I'm able to see the camera, connect to it, issue serial commands, and change the camera configuration. 

However, when I try to connect to the camera using the NI Camera File Generator, I'm unable to get it to work. There is no camera file to download on the NI web site for this model, so either I need to find someone who has one or make my own. I don't have a manual for the exact camera model because Vieworks no longer has this available, but I do have one for another camera in the same series, the 26MP version.

I've made sure that the tap/bit depth/resolution settings in the NI Camera File Generator match those of the Vieworks Configurator settings. I've also changed the serial port settings on the NI side to match the settings outlined in the VN-29 manual (which I am assuming are the same as the VN-16, but I'm not 100% certain). The only difference in the serial settings from the default is the speed - 115200bps is what the camera wants. 

So when I try to grab a frame, I get an error in the camera file generator: "Cannot detect valid timing signals. Make sure the camera is turned on, outputting video (not waiting for a trigger), and connected correctly."

I have the camera set to Free Run mode, which should be outputting video. I'm able to connect to it from the Vieworks configurator tool, so I know that the physical connections are working, and obviously, power is on. 

Any suggestions? If anyone happens to have a camera file for this model camera they'd be willing to share, that would save me a ton of grief!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,097 Views)

Just a bit of added information - I think this may be related to serial connections: Vieworks has a document on how to configure the camera using the Camera File Generator. I've followed these instructions exactly, however I'm unable to get the NI Camera File Generator to speak to the camera when using the Test Serial settings. The document says to issue the command 'set 10000\r' to set the exposure time, as a test. I get no response when I do this in the camera file generator. When I issue the same command in the Vieworks configurator application, the camera responds with "OK" -- so I know I'm successfully able to communicate with the camera from the computer through the NI card and CL cable, but not from NI's software.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,074 Views)

For those interested in this, we were able to get the camera up and running in NI MAX with the help of one of the resellers for this camera. Turns out the camera file for the VH-16M is compatible, though it only works at native resolution. It seems that there's no way to use the NI card/software to use this camera in PixelShift mode, so we'll be switching to a Matrox card, which Vieworks provides an API for. 

In the mean time, we've been able to confirm that the camera works properly, which was the most pressing issue, since our return window is about to close. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,055 Views)