Can TDMS support 30Hz 640x480 streaming to disk

Should think about AVI?

JPEG?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,933 Views)

Hi sachsm,

Regarding this question, I think we can talk from some aspects:

1. What is the requirement? Do you mean the speed of TDMS streaming is fast enough for 30Hz 30Hz 640x480 streaming? Or do you mean whether TDMS supports 30Hz 640x480 image or vedio format? 
  2. For TDMS speed, TDMS can access the rate of the underlying hardware, technically TDMS's capability is the speed of the harddisc, for example, if the application is running on NI RAID Array 8264, TDMS streaming speed is about 600 MB/s. 
  3. Currently TDMS doens't support image or vedio format for streaming, that means if you want to try TDMS, you have to conver the data to the ones which TDMS can recognize.
Please let me know if you have any question for TDMS streaming.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,924 Views)

Ok, I guess I was fishing to see if NI was planning on TDMS support for video streams.

So then, the question is what is most efficient:

IMAQ->AVI->Disk

IMAQ->JPEG->Disk

IMAQ->Some other compression format->Disk

IMAQ->Array->TDMS

Any prospects of taking advantage of GPU based compression?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,920 Views)

The answer to this question very much depends on your computer.  Your bottlenecks will be compression and writing to the hard drive.  A fast CPU will allow for faster compression, while a fast hard drive will allow you to write to disk faster.  If you have a solid state RAID drive, I would suggest saving uncompressed files to disk.  I think the best option is to give different compression schemes a try on your computer.

Zach C.
Field Engineer
Greater Los Angeles

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,897 Views)