From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stream video to my hard disk with a PCI-1411?

Is is possible to use the IMAQ-1411 as a "normal" frame grabbing device? What I would like to do is capture an AVI/MPEG file with my IMAQ-1411. I have searched around and have found only extremely expensive third party solutions. I found a very simple example written in CVI on the NI website, but it is rather unpredictable. Also, would it be possible to use Video for Windows with the IMAQ-1411? Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,915 Views)
Jason,

I don't think you can stream video to a standard hard disk from the 1411. The data rate required would be too high. You might be able to do it with specially designed storage, such as Vision Stream (see Graftek).

If you are planning to acquire relatively short videos, you might be able to capture it all to memory and do your conversion to MPEG or AVI, then write it all to disk.

You can't use the 1411 as a Video for Windows device. The necessary drivers aren't there.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 2 of 2
(2,915 Views)