Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCD monochrome analog camera

Hello all,

I would like to buy a new CCD monochrome analog camera (CCIR interface). I am looking for a camera which has facility for external synchronisation.

Is it possible to send TTL signas for HSYNC and V SYNC from DAQ USB 6229 card for external synchronization?? 

Sony XC-ES50CE model looks appropriate for my requirements but afraid to choose it, because i suspect camera is not compatible with my frame grabber card PCI 1411 and Labview environment. 

I am looking only for affordable cameras with 1500 euro.

If any body has suggestions please let me know. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,258 Views)

If external sychronization is needed, I would suggest purchasing a firewire or gigabit Ethernet  PCI card for your PC and using a firewire or GigE Vison camera.  A firewire or GigE Vision camera with a 1/2" format CCD with 782 x 582 CCIR resolution with cabling and the card for the PC is less than 1500 euro and will work out of the box...

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,243 Views)

Hi Robert,

I am interested only in interlace scanning camera. All the Gig E cameras use progressive scan???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,217 Views)

All of the GigE Vision cameras that I am familiar with use progressive scan chips.  It would also be easy to work with firewire cameras.  The Allied Vision Technologies Guppy F-038B and F-044B would be good choices, see http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/us/products/cameras/firewire/guppy.html.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,197 Views)

Hi there,

you can search for your camera at www.ni.com/cameras.

You will find that the 1411 framegrabber is not listed as supported device.

I searched our database for similar requests and found one entry where someone could not get the full resolution with that camera

connected to a 1411 so I would not recommend that you buy that one.

We generally do not recommend analog cameras for new system designs because of poor image quality and limited bandwidth.

Is there a special reason why you need an analog camera? Working with Firewire or GigE cameras will be cost-effective and those

cameras typically come with I/O lines where you can connect your synch signals from your m series board.

Let me know if this helps.

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,171 Views)

Hi David,

Camera will be used in an interferometer for motion sensing in real time.

At the moment what i am doing is capturing 25fps using analog camera and subtracting sequential images which were stored on frame grabber card. I guess this comes under image processing.The subtracted images display motion of the object under test.

Moreover i want to synchronise my LASER wavelength which can be shifted at the beginning of each frame. 

I do not need high resolution so CameraLink is eleiminated. USB based cameras are also not worth for my application.

I came to know somewhat clearly about all these after googling about each of the interfaces. 

Now can anybody suggest me which camera to choose analog or firwire???

Message Edited by viswa on 01-19-2010 06:43 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,149 Views)
Hi Visva,

if you can achieve what you need to do with your 1411 board and an analog camera, nobody would tell you to buy a firewire board and a firewire cam. Especially if you already have the 1411 framegrabber it is probably cheaper for you to only buy the camera.
You can search for supported cameras by using the camera advisor. Just follow the link in my previous post.
You should look at the detailed information for the cameras and make sure that your 1411 board is listed as supported framegrabber.

Best regards,
David
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,138 Views)

Hi David,

I have gone through the manual of Guppy F-044 CCIR standard camera. I have no idea about how to implement external sync for this camera. Could you explain if you have any idea? I know what to do in an analog camera with precise parameters of TTL pulses for v sync and H-Sync.

I would like to know the process of external sync before buying it. I am seriously considering your suggestions for buying Guppy camera. 

http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/fileadmin/content/PDF/Products/Technical_Manual/Guppy/Guppy_TechMan_V...

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,123 Views)

There are two schemes for synchronizing the Guppy F-044B with the laser.  First, you can provide an external 5V TTL trigger to the camera's eight pin connector.  Alternatively, you can have the camera trigger the laser by using one of the camera's genreal purpose outputs.  See page 76 of the Guppy manual and sections.  You will want to buy one of the AVT trigger cables, for example P/N K1200197.  If you have the NI Vision Acquisition software, you will find example for triggering firewire cameras in the IMAQdx Examples.llb or the IMAQdx Express Examples.llb.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,115 Views)

Hi Visva,

the Guppy has a TTL-trigger input, for synchronizing with e.g. your laser pulses.

An external trigger event will release a complete integration of both sensor fields, so it offers a kind of VSYNC functionality. The trigger functionality is also described in the manual.

HSYNC is not necessary with an digital camera, that's done within the camera electronic. Makes things much easier...

Oliver Guennel

www.alliedvisiontec.com
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,114 Views)