Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug ReportL LV 2019 installation results in problems in exe released with LV/VDM 2018

Just wanted to post this heads-up warning for those of you who are developing with LV 2018 SP1 and VMD 2018.5 and planning to release executables.

I have installed LV 2019 64-bit to check out the new set/map objects and whatever new widget justified the new release number. Then forgot about it, as uninstalling it was involving a major perturbation of my system (notably because  it required uninstalling a number of prior LV versions, toolkits and whatnots).

The next time I released a standalone app using LV 2018 SP1 64-bit and VDM 18.5, the Image Control remained a solid black, showing no intention to display any kind of image. I tested this with the simplest possible VI (an image control with a button to load an image file) and confirmed the behavior.

I am still waiting for NI to provide a solution but have in the meantime decided to cut into the flesh and uninstalled all the 2019 stuff (and the require anterior stuff as well, unfortunately), reinstalled the 2018 part and seem to be back in business.

In summary: if you install 2019, your 2018 executables using the Image Control will NOT work.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,621 Views)

Hello X.,

Do you have a service request open to address this issue with our technical support team?

Best regards,

Ryan B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,537 Views)
Yes
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,516 Views)

Hi X,

Just wanted to follow up with you after checking the service request. Did a re-install of the SW fix the issue? We've seen in the past corruption sometimes where the PlugIn control files for the image display control were not populated in the LabVIEW Run-Time folders depending on the order of installation etc. Please let us know if you see this behavior again. We definitely want to investigate this if the issue reoccurs.

Thanks 

T. Le
Vision Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,479 Views)

This was confirmed as a bug by the NI Support Engineer who was handling this case. I am waiting for a CAR # for this and will post it when available.

The image control in LV 2018 should not have been affected by installing only LV 2019 (no VDM toolkit). And it wasn't in the development environment, only when trying to release a standalone LV 2018 app. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,473 Views)

Vagaries of phone support in the age of AI...

I was recontacted and told that R&D did after all not believe this was a bug and potentially attributed it to a corruption of the Image Control Plugin (which it is not, as this folder has remained untouched since first install in September last year and now works fine).

In other words: I encountered this problem, R&D cannot reproduce it, you are warned. caveat emptor.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,466 Views)

Hi X,

Are you still seeing the issue after reinstalling LabVIEW 2019? We definitely want to keep an eye out for this behavior. Unfortunately, as you said we weren't able to reproduce it which makes it difficult to investigate further. For anyone else encountering this issue, feel free to direct message me or open a service request.

Thanks,

T. Le
Vision Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,462 Views)

I haven't tried to reinstall LV 2019. I will postpone this until SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,458 Views)