From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken line(edge) detection from binary image

Hi,

I'm trying to mark(detect) 4 straight lines from a binary image and whether any of them are broken (not straith).
If there are any broken lines, i wish to mark(detect) these lines (edges) with a vertical line (which in this case(Test_Image) is located up in the right side corner).
I have created an application(VI) which seems to work well with the "raw" image, but when I extract the colorplane (blue) and try to detect the lines from the binary image (not the raw image), i can't seem to find anything. Maybe i'm using the wrong tools(VI's) or simply the wrong parameters(to much noise?).

Any suggestions? Smiley Happy

(It works when I use: "First Edge Rake" detection, but then I can only detect one horizontal line)

Example.JPG

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,060 Views)

No one? Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,000 Views)

Hey SinSch,

You are right in saying that there is quite a lot of noise in this image.I have had a play around with your image in Vision Assistant, I recommend you do the same to try and find the optimal settings for your image. 

It seems to work in the raw picture as you have your block that creates a solid edge for the vision application to reference. When you convert it to a binary image this edge is no longer as visible. You may benefit from improving the lighting in your image.

Hope this helps.

Best,

-Jelmer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,960 Views)

After testing a few different values, I've found that "Minimum Edge Strength" must be below "1" to get satisfactory results (detect multiple lines).

I ended up with:

Line [Type: Hough Edge Rake | Iterations: 32 | Step size: 25]

Line (Edge) [Polarity: Falling Edges | Kernal: 9 | Width: 9 | Min edge strength: 1.0]

Edge [Polarity: All Edges | Kernal: 9 | Width: 45 | Min edge strength: 0.3]

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
(2,919 Views)