From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any toolkits or dlls to enable control of Photron APX camera using labview?

Are there any toolkits or dlls to enable control of Photron APX camera using labview?  I need to use labview to setup the image acquisition parameters, then arm the camera for external trigger, wait for the images to be captured, and then write them to the PC's hard drive.  So far, I have not found any drivers, toolboxes, etc. that allow me to achieve this in a simple manner.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,433 Views)

Hello pchitnis,

I've looked over Photron's website but it does not provide much information on the image acquisition or proprietary software that is used. I would suggest contacting Photron in this regard.

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,413 Views)

Hi andy,

Thanks for your continued efforts to help.  It seems that Photron has C APIs that one might be able to convert into DLLs.  I wonder if this is the only viable option?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,411 Views)

Hi pchitnis,

If you use a camera-specific DLL to work with your camera, you can use the Call Library Function Node VI to call and interact with the DLL.

If your camera-specific DLL returns a numeric array to represent your image, you can use the IMAQ ArrayToImage VI to convert it into a form that LabVIEW can handle if you need to use it for other vision VIs. You would first need to use IMAQ Create to create a destination for that image to be placed, and wire its "New Image" out terminal as the "Image" input terminal to the IMAQ ArrayToImage VI.

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,397 Views)

Duplicate post:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=200&thread.id=23889

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering