From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amscope MU1000 camera crashes LabVIEW and NI MAX

Hi,

I recently traded in an Amscope MA500 for an Amscope MU1000 CCD camera because the MU1000 has the drivers the MA500 is lacking (this was in a previous forum discussion).

The new camera works perfectly with amcap so the DirectShow drivers are working. However, when I use NI MAX and click on the camera it crashes and I am given the attached error report. This also happens when I try to access the camera in the LabView Vision module 15.5. Any idea how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,961 Views)

do you use any repair method for max and also check for camera driver that is suit for your camera or not ? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,928 Views)

Hi Hatef.fouladi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the repair but it did not help. The camera uses a DirectShow driver which is what labview uses to communicate with USB2.0 cameras isn't it? The camera works with Amcap so the drivers for the camera are working. I also cant see how missing the drivers would produce an access violation error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,891 Views)

Does your camera is linked to any other application?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,881 Views)

It was linked to the Amscope application software. I removed it from the computer and the camera still works in amcap. The crashing also still persists in NI MAX and Labview as well.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,845 Views)

Are you able to assign the IMAQdx driver to your camera through device manager? Similar to this KB: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C77C2175B693DD186257C26007C0766

Instead of clicking "have disk" search for a driver at the following places

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx
possibly here : C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,824 Views)

@samazing wrote:

Are you able to assign the IMAQdx driver to your camera through device manager? Similar to this KB: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C77C2175B693DD186257C26007C0766

Instead of clicking "have disk" search for a driver at the following places

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx
possibly here : C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx

That is not necessary. Associating the driver is only necessary for "USB3 Vision" and Firewire cameras, and only in cases where you have vendor-provided drivers in addition to the NI ones.

For DirectShow devices such as yours, unfortunately there is not much you can do besides contacting the vendor. Standard webcams tend to work quite well as they implement a standard USB class interface (USB Video Class), have to pass strict testing to get Microsoft Windows logo certification, and generally run Microsoft's own driver rather than a vendor-provided one (though vendors can add software that augment functionality). For non-webcamera devices, the DirectShow interfaces provided tend to have fairly limited testing outside of a small subset of video applications. IMAQdx uses many of the programatic interfaces into DirectShow that tend to not be very well tested by vendors, but allow IMAQdx to control camera features via its API as opposed to popping up a vendor-specific GUI interface that the driver exposes. It is certainly possible that IMAQdx is doing something incorrect, but with years of shipping DirectShow support in IMAQdx, pretty much all these similiar types of issues have been found to be issues in those vendor drivers.

I'm not that familiar with microscopy cameras, but there are some vendors (like Basler) that have lines of cameras aimed at that market using well-supported machine vision protocols (USB3 Vision and GigE Vision) that IMAQdx fully supports without vendor drivers. You could check these out and see if these might be options: http://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/cameras/area-scan-cameras/pulse

Eric

Message 7 of 11
(5,813 Views)

Hi, 

I wonder if you have solved the problem? I am trying to connect Amscope MU1000 camera to labview but looks like labview does not read the camera even though the camera itself can be found under MAX. The producer also claims they have directshow but it does not make any sense if a directshow supported camera can't be read in labview.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,278 Views)

Hi AlexZLee,

You will probably have better luck if you post this question in a new forum post.  I'm suggesting this for a couple of reasons:

1) The problem you are seeing is not the same as itk's.  itk's issue is that MAX was crashing when he tried to use the camera - which doesn't have much in common with trying to figure out why LabVIEW doesn't seem to see the camera when MAX does.

2) The post is almost 5 months old, so it is likely that you won't get much activity from itk.

When you do create a new post, I'd like to suggest that you include the following information:

1) What version of LabVIEW are you using?

2) Are you using LabVIEW 32 or 64-bit?

3) What NI Vision software do you have installed?  Is it activated?

4) Can you take pictures with the camera in MAX?

5) When you say "looks like labview does not read the camera", could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing that leads you to this conclusion?

Regards,

George B.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,266 Views)

I'm having the same problem with a slightly newer version of MAX. Did you ever find a solution or workaround?

The camera works fine in the AmScope app, but crashes MAX when I clicked on it in the list on the left (Toupcam "cam0" in the screenshot below).

MU1000 camera in MAX.png

MU1000 camera MAX crash report dialog.png

Relatedly, I am unable to connect to the camera through the IMAQ library. I get error -1074397163 "The passed in interface or session is invalid."

MU1000 labview connect error.png

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,066 Views)