Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACE GigE - external trigger - example needed

Hello,

I have a CVS-1457RT with a Basler ACE GigE cam - I am having issues when I try to use a hardware trigger for the camera (thru the I/O connection on the camera)

I've been trying for a few days now, so I decided it was time to ask here

- have anyone used a similar setup, meaning the camera with external trigger? (controller is not the issues) and would it be possible to share the acquisition VI's?

best regards,

Henrik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(10,267 Views)

What kind of issue? Have you got an error? If yes, what kind of error? I've been using it for a while (external trigger, PC)  and have no problem. One guess is that you get "timout error" while you are waiting for an external trigger.

Message 2 of 21
(10,262 Views)

I don't get an error - infact, I don't get anyting 🙂

well, besides a timeout, just as you suggested.

I've set up the camera to wait for a "frame start" on the input - and the same time, I monitor the output from the camera which is set to "frame trigger wait" - so I am fairly sure that the camera is set up properly

I've been using the aqusisition asistant (continuous with inline processing) which works fine when the camera is free running - but once I set the camera to wait for a trigger, no images are acquired (and of cause, I do cycle the trigger) and the whole thing times out after a few seconds.

This makes me belive that I am approching this the wrong way... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(10,258 Views)

Hi Ehlert,

Sorry you are having problems getting this to work!

There are a few things to keep in mind when configuring the triggers....

You will need to enable the trigger on the Ace camera to trigger the specific event (Frame Start) that you want to occur on the specific trigger signal. You might want to consult the Ace user manual for the specifics of doing this, as they have quite a number of options for how the trigger can be configured. Are you using the 1457RT to send the signal to the camera? If so you will then need to configure the 1457RT to send an appropriate trigger. We have some Vision RIO examples that show how to do this. Keep in mind that you also may be experiencing a hardware setup issue. If you are using the isolated outputs on the CVS you will need to provide external power for the outputs to work. It is probably helpful to examine your physical trigger line with a scope and verify thaty the trigger signal is going when you expect, allowing you to isolate which end is not configured appropriately.

In general, assuming your trigger signal to the camera is working, setting the camera up for triggering is pretty simple:

-Set Trigger Selector to "Frame Start" (to set context for the other trigger features)

-Set Trigger Source to "Line1" (only option on Ace GigE)

-Set Trigger Mode to "On"

-Set other related features (rising/falling edge, delay, ...)

Eric

Message 4 of 21
(10,256 Views)

Hi Eric,

I am using the 1457RT to send the trigger, but am certain that this part is working correctly.

and for the camera, your list is the excact setup that I am using.

but as I understand it, the camera first need an "acquisition start" and then a "frame start" - one concern is how to know if the camera gets the "acquisition start"? and how is it suppose to get this signal? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(10,250 Views)

Generally, you probably don't want to use an Acquisition Start trigger in this situation, so I would have it disabled. It will then be started when IMAQdx starts the acquisition.

On a tangent, but if you are using the CVS 1457RT to trigger the signal, if you have an Ace that supports it and has a new enough firmware, you could use the network trigger functionality to send the trigger to the camera over the Ethernet connection. You'll see "Action0" (I believe) as a trigger source option if your camera has this support. There is an example (labeled for the 8237R) that shows how to use it with the Ace.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(10,246 Views)

@BlueCheese wrote:

Generally, you probably don't want to use an Acquisition Start trigger in this situation, so I would have it disabled. It will then be started when IMAQdx starts the acquisition.

On a tangent, but if you are using the CVS 1457RT to trigger the signal, if you have an Ace that supports it and has a new enough firmware, you could use the network trigger functionality to send the trigger to the camera over the Ethernet connection. You'll see "Action0" (I believe) as a trigger source option if your camera has this support. There is an example (labeled for the 8237R) that shows how to use it with the Ace.

Eric

It is a brand new Ace, so maybe - I have a option called "software trigger" - is that it?

but I have requirements for quite pricise triggering, so wouldn't the hardware trigger be the best option?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(10,243 Views)

Ehlert wrote:

It is a brand new Ace, so maybe - I have a option called "software trigger" - is that it?

but I have requirements for quite pricise triggering, so wouldn't the hardware trigger be the best option?

No, Software trigger is different. Likely your model just doesn't have this feature/

The Action Commands implemented through the CVS 1457RT add about 10 microseconds of latency and <1 microseconds jitter to the triggering compared to a physical trigger.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(10,228 Views)
Hmm, in that case I properly need to stick with the hardware trigger
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(10,226 Views)

@Brad_PID wrote:

What kind of issue? Have you got an error? If yes, what kind of error? I've been using it for a while (external trigger, PC)  and have no problem. One guess is that you get "timout error" while you are waiting for an external trigger.

Any chance you can show me a snip of your acquisition vi?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(10,201 Views)