From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K @ 60 fps USB3.0

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I am looking for a Machine Vision camera that can capture 60 fps @ 4K resolution with USB3.0.

Is there anything out there in terms of on-camera-compression or something comparable?

I know I could probably switch interfaces to CoaX, but since the setup is designed for USB3.0 at this point, I would love to go with that.

Best regards
Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,818 Views)

USB3 Vision does not currently support any sort of compressed video formats. Even at 8-bit Mono format, 3840x2160x60fps is almost 4GB/s, well above existing USB3 Vision cameras (~450MB/s) and even future ones that could use USB 3.2's dual-lane, Gen2 10Gbit mode (~2GB/s). Is this color data that you are acquiring?

What are you intending to do with the video? I suspect that will drive a lot of your decisions.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,784 Views)

I am not sure that this is much of help but 5GigE can give you those speed.

https://www.teledynedalsa.com/en/products/imaging/cameras/genie-nano-5GigE/

But that is a lot of data to process like the previous post said. Those cameras are new in the market. So I am not sure how will IMAQdx work with them. You can ask NI.

Amit

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,778 Views)

Those are still only 5Gbit (roughly 500MB/s), so almost an order of magnitude slower than the 4GB/s needed for uncompressed 4K video at 60fps.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,775 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author peterboi

Hi peterboi,

as users stated previously, you won't be able to achieve it with this serial bus. I checked the configurator of Edmund and Basler and 4k camera can achieve roughly 42-47 FPS.

Best, 

Andrzej

Message 5 of 7
(2,764 Views)

Thank you very much for your help! 

I found this 4K camera from Basler [1], which seems to be a great fit for my application. It does not deliver 60 fps @ 4K, but 42 fps, which may be also fine. I need to test 🙂

[1] https://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/cameras/basler-cameras-for-medical-and-life-sciences/basler-me...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,731 Views)

Oops, somehow my math was off by 10 on my previous calculation. Unfortunately USB3 cameras with a Gen1 (5Gbit) interface will not be able to quite get to 60fps at 4k. I suppose you could potentially crop the image slightly if you wanted to maximize speed and didn't need the whole 4k.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,725 Views)