Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10GigE High Speed Cameras

Hello Vision community,

I am planning to buy an Emergent Vision Technology 10GigE high speed camera, (https://emergentvisiontec.com/products/hr-series-10gige-cameras/hr-2000/) and the relative NIC 10 GigE PCIe card. My goal is to acquire 10 minutes of video at full resolution (2088 x 1088) at 338 fps. And simultaneously to record synchronized data from a compactDAQ.

I am still on hold as I can't find any information or tests about the compatibility of these cameras with LabVIEW. Does anyone have experiences with controlling 10 GigE cameras through LabVIEW? And in case, are there any compatibility issues or there are no problems?

I know the cameras are in full compliance with the machine visions standards GigE vision and genicam and that there are VIs developed using the original Emergent DLLs to use the camera. But can't find any mention of 10GigE on the NI website or anywhere, or if LabVIEW is capable to take full advantage of the 10Gige interface and handle such amount of image data at once.

Many thanks!

All the best

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,039 Views)

We have tested a different 10 GigE camera on Windows, and it worked fine.  Make sure you use jumbo frames.  Also, you can play around with settings on the NIC to reduce the number of interrupts generated from incoming packets to get better performance. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,001 Views)

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Did you needed a workstation particularly powerful to handle the data rate for long recordings, or do you think a standard one (64 Gb RAM, i7, ssd for OS and PCIe SSD reserved for acquisition) should be enough?

many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,986 Views)

Our testing did not involve recording the data to disk, so I don't have an exact answer to your question.  But SSD write speeds should be more than enough to handle the 10 Gb/s data rate.  The computer we used to test the acquisition from the camera was running Windows 7 x64, quad core 3 GHz, 16 GB ram. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,983 Views)

OK, many thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,969 Views)

Why don't you simply go to whatever brand's website you are mentioning in your thread and contact them and ask whatever you want to ask related to their products and make your final decision. Isn't it simple! Alright! Let me make it more easy for you https://emergentvisiontec.com/company/contact-us/ now you can contact them right away.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,809 Views)

I would be interested to know what is the processor load you get in this frame rate.

I was testing 3 years ago the Basler camera that is using the same sensor on Frame Grabber  - Camera Link Full  (NI PCIe-1433).

It was working well for us.

The advantage of Camera Link is that it has zero processor load. I wonder what you are going to see as processor load in this frame rate. Please share the information if you don't mind.

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,803 Views)

@gigetec wrote:

Why don't you simply go to whatever brand's website you are mentioning in your thread and contact them and ask whatever you want to ask related to their products and make your final decision. Isn't it simple! Alright! Let me make it more easy for you https://emergentvisiontec.com/company/contact-us/ now you can contact them right away.

thanks for replying and stating the obvious... of course I had the link, and checked already thoroughly with them.

But personally I think it is always a good thing to check if someone had a personal experience, suggestions or comment. I know... outrageous right?

And maybe in the future any (useful) comment can help someone else....

So thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to reply without adding anything relevant to the discussion at all.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,797 Views)

@AmitShachaf wrote:

I would be interested to know what is the processor load you get in this frame rate.

I was testing 3 years ago the Basler camera that is using the same sensor on Frame Grabber  - Camera Link Full  (NI PCIe-1433).

It was working well for us.

The advantage of Camera Link is that it has zero processor load. I wonder what you are going to see as processor load in this frame rate. Please share the information if you don't mind.

Hi AmitShachaf, 

I used a Basler (acA2000-340) camera with the same frame grabber few years ago and it was fine for me as well. 

This new one with these specs usually has a 3% processor load more or less. The frame grabber comes with a special driver to allow this. But please note that I am still working on the LabVIEW code.

For now I am using a different software for testing, and I can write directly on disk at 338 fps without any frame drop and at full resolution for 20 minutes. And during this time the processor load is mostly around 3%, always less than 5%.

Message 9 of 9
(4,796 Views)