MATRIXx

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simexe crashes in windows

Hi,

I am the user of whom Doug spoke.  In regards to the simulation crashing,  the IA screen was built using the standard components in the ia.builder tool.  The inquire function is used to generate a dialog box to input values to the simulation.  At random times, the use of this dialog box has caused the system to crash and the simexe.exe message to appear.

The IA screen collapsing is a fairly new occurrence, only in the last six months.  The simulation continues but the IA screen is no longer active.  No pop up messages or messages in the XMATH command window occur..

Thanks,

Maria

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(8,622 Views)
Hi Doug,

That would be ideal. If it is happening across the board, then there might be a bug or perhaps the installation has had a problem. I have not heard of this error before. If it is only with a specific operation within a model, then we can troubleshoot that specific operation.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard

Field Sales Engineer, New Jersey
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(8,614 Views)
Hi Maria,

Is there something unsafe happening with the pointer returned by INQUIRE? Perhaps addressing past the last character?

Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(8,599 Views)
Hello,

Here is what I know:

An example of the IA source code used is as follows:

BEGIN_POINTER_ACTION
  HOT_SPOTS  I[2]  1  0  0  240  80
  IF I[2] = 1 THEN
    IF I[7] = 0 THEN
      INQUIRE   R[2]    'PARAMETER: '
    ENDIF
  ENDIF
END_POINTER_ACTION

This format is consistent with standard IA components and there is nothing "unsafe" or likely to cause a crash visible in the source code. All variables are declared properly and the IA code has not changed since running under windows 2000 where the problem occurred much less frequently.  My impression is that the INQUIRE function spawns off a separate task with the IA dialog box (the simulation continues to run) and the numerical value simply is returned to the IA variable R[2]. Since the crash only occurs when the end result is written to the variable R[2], I assume there is a windows task interaction problem when passing the floating point value from the INQUIRE task back to the simexe task.

Thanks,

Maria
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(8,592 Views)
Hi Maria,

I have tried to repeat this using the demo models of the F14 and the car Cruise Control and do not observe any crash. Can you try the same a few times on your computer just to be sure?

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(8,515 Views)
We have never experienced this problem with a small model. The problem only occurs when the model gets beyond a certain size. The problem model was tested on a machine with more memory and the problems were much less frequent. I assume the problem could be associated with the Windows use of virtual memory. The problem is quite obvious when the virtual memory usage is more than 70Mb.

Thanks,

Maria
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(8,394 Views)
Hi Maria,

What is the size of the model which is causing the problems?  Does the crash happen right away or after a certain period of time?

Matt S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(8,368 Views)
The model is approximately 1000 superblocks  and 5.4 MB in size.  This does not include the IA files.  The crashes of the IA screens have happened upon initial startup and at random times during the simulation. The crashes of the program happen randomly as well when inputs to the simulation are being introduced via the IA screen. 

Maria
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(8,361 Views)
Hi Maria,

I have gone ahead and escalated this issue with our R&D developers.  As soon as I hear anything, I will let you know.

Thank you for your patience,

Matt S.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(8,328 Views)

Hi Maria,

I would like to start the conversation back up regarding your issue.  If possible we would like to attempt to reproduce this on one of our development machines so that we might be able to provide a solution for this particular issue.  Please call me using the following number 1-866-275-6964 and reference service request number 864495

Thanks and Best Regards,

Steven Bassett

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(7,486 Views)