From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logos time synchronization keeps stopping

I'm using FP-1600 modules that are synchronizing to a Logos Time Service server. I find that the server periodically stops and the FP units start to drift. I would like to know why this is happening and if there is an easy way to have the server restarted automatically or have my LabVIEW application detect that it is down and restart it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,909 Views)
Can you reproduce this 'stopping'?

Do you mean the lktsrv.exe (Time Synchronisation Service) is crashing or does it just stop as you would stop it manually or with the command line lktsrv -stop.

Anyhow. I could come up with two ideas.
1. You could periodically call a command line command which would start the time service e.g. lktsrv -start -quiet starts the service without a message box. If you type in lktsrv in a DOS command prompt it will show you all the command line parameter you can use for those services (lkcitdl.exe, lkads.exe, lktsrv.exe)
2. If you run on Windwos 2000 you could set up a recovery on all the NT-stylish services. Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, look for Lookout Time Synchronisation and open its properties and go
to the Recovery tab. There you could set up the service to be restarted after the first failure after maybe 1 minute.
This setup just restarts the service when the service failed to be started or crashed at some point. However, with this mechanisme it will not restart the service if you stop it regularly, manually.

I guess for National Instruments it would be interessting to have a reproducable use case where you see this time service stopping for some reason. I recommend to contact NI Support if you do so.

In addition I recommend to use the latest Logos/Citadel/Time Service from ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/lookout/logos and I recommend to use the latest firmware of FP-1600 from ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/fieldpoint/Update/

Hope this helps
Roland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,909 Views)
Thanks Roland

As for reproducing, all I have to do is wait and it will eventually happen (maybe once every couple of weeks). I don't know of anything that I can do to cause it though.

I don't get any error messages, it just seems to be gone. The same thing happens with the Citadel and Classifieds servers periodically, but I don't use them for anything.

I'm not sure if I even have Lookout installed. I have the NI Service Manager (which may or may not be part of Lookout), but I can't seem to find anything else which includes Lookout. It just seems to come up any time I search for help on the NI Support site.

I will incorporate your suggestion about restarting it periodically to see if that helps.

Thanks
Bill
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,909 Views)