Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to locate data members still in use

I am trying to delete data members from a comms driver I don't use any more.  I have created a new driver and reassigned member numbers so there should not be any connection.  most deleted ok but I have a few that when I try to delete them I get a pop up box that says  "Data member configuration can't be deleted since it is currently in use!"  Trouble is I can't find where it is in use!   Is there some way to locate where the data member is so I can get rid of it?   The dead tags are pushing me over my licence limit so I can't finish what I am doing
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,218 Views)

The error means the datamember is being used by other object.  

Go to Option->Connection Browser, find the object and double click it to expand datamembers. The output of a datamember indicates where it is being used. You can double click the output to get where the connection is.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,211 Views)

Another way is to open the .lks file in notepad or any text editor. Search for the datamember name, then you will find where it is used.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,210 Views)
Thanks for the info!  I did as instructed and now have another problem.  When I went to the "outputs" section it stated  "remote request".  It took me awhile to figuree that one out but I remember finally that this system had a remote master that is no longer in use.  So the remote request is no longer in use.  Any ideas how to remove this now?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,198 Views)

Search the .lks file for the datamember name. If you see the remote request in connection browser, there must be something that uses this datamember as remote source.

Actually you can delete an object without deleting the remote request connection. But you need to delete the connection in order to delete the alias datamember. So, if the driver object is totally useless, don't care the remote request, just delete the object. I'm not sure if it's a bug.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,181 Views)

Maybe the remote request is in another running process.

If you cannot figure it out, upload the process to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming.  and tell me which datamember you cannot delete.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,180 Views)