Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X'ed out Objects in Lookout 5.0

Recently our FP-1601 module took a blackout. Since then one of our Lookout 5.0 screens has red X'ed out objects. I verified that I can ping the FP-1601 module from the Lookout computer and can also view it as running in the FP-Explorer. Is it possible Lookout 5.0 is confused and needs to be reset to see the objects? How can I verify that I can poll the objects? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,491 Views)

Hi,

Normally, Lookout should see the FP units when they come back up. However, looks like you may have to reload your process(es). This will force Lookout objects to see the FP units.

For testing purposes, you could create a "test process" in which all you would have are the FP objects, and a few expressions to read some channels from the units to make sure all modules are reachable. You can shutdown your current application (taking care of all that needs to be taken care of), and then load this "test process" and make sure Lookout is able to talk to them fine. Close the "test process," and then bring back up your application.

Hope this helps,

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,491 Views)
Khalid,

Thanks for the quick response. Is it possible that since I can see the FP-1601s from the explorer that all is well? I'm also thinking that the Lookout 5.0 screen might be tied into another process that is not being loaded and is causing it to have X'ed objects. How do you verify that a Lookout screen is or is not tied into another Lookout screen/process?

Thanks again in advance.
-joe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,491 Views)

Joe,

If you can read the channels fine in explorer, then all is well. And Lookout too should see the FP units soon (what Object in Lookout are you using to connect to FP? the "native" FieldPoint object with the Ethernet option, or the OPCFieldPoint object?)

From running processes, it's difficult to know where the expression's source is -- i.e., whether it has a red X because of the other process is down or not. If you can go into the edit mode, you can easily tell this by hovering the mouse over the Expression and checking its status in the yellow status bar at the bottom of the screen.

In general, you can use the Connection Browser (from the Object menu in edit mode) to see what expressions and items are connected to what other ex
pressions/porcesses etc.

Hope this was of some help.

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,491 Views)
Khalid,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The status I see at the bottom is "connecting, disconnected, process failure" when I hover over a particular object. Have you seen this error message before? Any more insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-joe
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,491 Views)

Joe,

I have seen these status msgs too -- when the FP is connecting or disconnected. The "connecting" and "disconnected" status messages indicate that the Expression is directly connected to the FieldPoint.

One other (crude) way to find out the various connections between objects and expressions of your process is to look at the .LKS file. Open the .LKS file for your process in a Notepad (or in any other text editor). This is the "source" of the process. And you can, with some effort, figure out what is connected to what. This method is especially useful if you cannot go into the Edit mode of Lookout.

As I said, the FP units are detected by Lookout eventually and the red-Xs go away. This does not seem to be the c
ase with you. What Objects are you using for FieldPoint -- the FieldPoint Object? Or the OPCFieldPoint Object?

Hope this helps,

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,491 Views)
Khalid,

I did find that our primary LO server was not turned on. However, I do have red x's still. The new message I see now is "nonexistent, access denied" have you seen that before...Not quite sure if we are using OPCFieldPoint Object or Fieldpoint Object, How can I tell...

Thanks in advance,
-joe
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,491 Views)

The "nonexistent, access denied" message would imply (I am guessing here) that the Process is unreachable.

For you to find out if you're using the OPCFieldPoint or the native FieldPoint, you would have to go into Edit mode, and then in the Object Explorer from the Object menu. Here, you should see your FP Objects. Right-click them and go into properties to find out what kind of an object they are.

You can also find this info' from the LKS file. Look for the "new" keyword in there.

Connection browser, again under the Object menu in Edit mode, lets you see the relationships between various objects and processes. Looks like you're having problems because not all of your processes are running. El
iminate this possibility by making sure all your processes are running. We shall then see if you still get the red Xs.

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,491 Views)
Khalid,

First let me thank you for your wonderful responses. I did find the problem. I used a backup copy of our process files and load them and the red X's went away. Weird. I didn't change anything prior to doing that. (if you have an explanation for that let me know).

Thanks again,
-joe
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,491 Views)