Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Pushbutton to change logged in User

I am trying to use a pushbutton to bring up the Login pop-up, the one normally activated by CTRL+L, the logged in user display on the buttom left of the screen or from the File menu. The application runs on a touch screen panel PC, so for the operator to get to the user display on the bottom left it requires pointy finger nails or very small fingers. Our operators don't have either. They cannot use the File menu because it is not displayed for them, no keyboard either. So how can I make this pop-up appear with a pushbutton?
Thanks,
Peter Koestler,
Brewery Engineer
The Gambrinus Company
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,001 Views)
I can't find any other way to open the Login dialog box......

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,000 Views)
I wonder if you can configure your touch screen to offset the pointer as you approach the edge of the screen? I've done this on other touch screens but I'm not sure what type you're using.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,981 Views)
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your suggestions, but I took NI Ryan's "no can do" as a challenge. Smiley Mad
Here is how we have solved this in Lookout 6.0:

Open the Run object while in edit mode (Object -> Create -> Run). Give it a Name and link to the push button you created in the middle of your screen, or wherever, under "Run when = ". In the Command line field enter "c:\WINDOWS\system32\osk.exe" including (important!) the quotation marks. At least in XP, this will bring up the onscreen keyboard. I don't know about other versions, or when MS introduced this keyboard, but it works in XP. I would guess that in case you can't find the osk.exe file on the target machine, you could add it. I also added a pop-up explaining to click Ctrl - L on the onscreen keyboard with the same push button. Then just use the onscreen keyboard to fill out the Login screen.
I would love to take all the credit for this, but my gratitude goes out to Russell Gordon in Houston, TX, he's the MAN!
Peter Koestler
Brewery Engineer
The Gambrinus Company

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,776 Views)