From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sockets Communication error 10061

Hello, I am trying to configure a Modbus Ethernet communication on two laptops running Lookout 6.1

On the first laptop I have a Modbus Slave setup with the following:

Name: ModbusSlave1

Mode:  Modbus Ethernet

Identifier: 1

On the single control panel I have in this project I have a pot (number format instead of a dial or slider bar), the Minimum Value is 0, the Maximum Value is 32767, the Resolution is 1, and the Position Source is set to Remote and the URL is ModbusSlave1.40001

The IP address of the Modbus slave is 10.0.1.108 and the subnet is 255.255.255.0

On the second laptop I have a Modbus object and the Revise Modbus Secondary configuration of

Name:  ModbusTest

Mode:  Modbus Ethernet

Communication Settings:

Address:  10.0.1.108

Identifier: 1

PollRate: 0.10

Retry Attempts: 4

Receive Timeout 1000 msecs

On the single control screen of this second laptop I have a pot with the following:  Minimum 0, Maximum 32767, Resolution 1, Position Source: Remote, ModbusTest.40001

With the two systems configured as above I get on the second laptop the following error message:

Socket communications error 10061:  Connection refused

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but if any one can give me some help on how to set this up to work correctly it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,712 Views)

The configuration looks correct. You can test it on one computer first. Create the ModbusSlave on the second computer, and input the local ip address of the second computer for the Modbus object. Once you make it work, we can say the configuration is correct. And then test the remote connection.

On the second computer, select Option->Modbus Ethernet Options, enable it, input file path such as D:\, and OK. The communication on Modbus Ethernet will be logged to the file. The file name is the object name. Post the log file here.

Another way to debug is to use 3rd party Modbus master software, and slave software. Test if Lookout Modbus will work with 3rd party slave software, and vice versa. We will know which one has the problem.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,698 Views)

This might not be related at all, but that is the same error (10061) I receive when I use Lookout V6.2 and have it talk to an OLDER (before the days of CIP)AB PLC-5 (talking to it on eithernet)

I had to upgrade the firmware in the PLC-5.

Rich Anderson

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,694 Views)

I tried using a third party software, ModScan32.  The data is being transmitted by the ModbusSlave when it asks for the data, but I can not seem to get Outlook Modbus Master to communicate properly.  Now, instead of a Sockets Communication Error I get the following error message:

Garbled communication response from Modbus Secondary(6): Response too short

I have done what the Lookout Help file suggests, I increased the number of retry attempts to 8 and the receive timeout to 5000ms and there is still no luck in getting the two systems to communicate.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

John Blaser

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,678 Views)

Make a communication log file.

The setup of Modbus object is straightforward. I don't think it's a configuration problem.

Do you have any other modbus software installed on either computer? I remember that I had a modbus service running sometime, which blocked the lookout modbus. After I stopped that service, everything started working.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,670 Views)