Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should RS Linx be set up as a local server instead of an in-process server if you are also communicating with RSL5000?

Hello,

I have Lookout 5.1 build 8 running on the same computer (windows xp sp2) as my RSLogix 5000 software.  From the KB, I've gathered that the RS Linx OPCClient object should be set up as an in-process server.  However, Lookout help menu gives caution that in-process servers should only be used if Lookout is the only program communicating with the server.  Will running both cause communication problems?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,629 Views)

The in-porcess server means the opc server will be running inside of Lookout, instead of running as an individual process. Usually the in-process opc server is a dll file.

So, if you select in-process, Lookout will hold the opc server. Probably there will be problem is you use another opc client to connect it as in-process server. But it also depends on how the opc server is designed.

You can try to use two clients to connect it as in-process server. But since we don't know about the server, lookout has that warning in help.

Does the RSLinx KB say that its opc client object has to connect the server as in-process server?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,612 Views)