Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Lookout 6.5 tag sharing

This is a WHOPPER, although a weird one...

I have one grad student grabing shared variables from my Lookout server processes for inclusion in his LabVIEW implementation.

After I upgraded the server's Lookout to 6.5, he reported problems reading values from one of the four processes running on my server.

1.  Oddly enough, he had no problem displaying the tags in Max or in Activex Hypertrend within his LabVIEW executable, but he could not map the variables to his shared variables and thus he could not display them or include them in his Citadel.

2.  Using Tag Monitor, all the values from the "troubled" process on my Lookout server, come up as "access denied".

3.  Using Tag Monitor on the Lookout server (while all four processes were running in Lookout), I had the same results...."access denied".

4.  All Lookout clients (both 6.5 and 6.2) have no problems accessing the troubled process tags both by expression and Lookout Hypertrend.

The troubled process, has the last alphabetical process name and the last alphabetical file name.  All four processes are loaded using the startup settings in Lookout.ini.  Lookout runs as a service on WIndows 2008 x86 Hyper-V virtual machine.

Because the processes are all production, I have not yet been able to mess with process names and loading order to possibly elaborate on the symptom.

It is "maybe" and issue that Lookout 6.5 can't properly share out (via shared variable engine) variables from more than 3 processes at a time???

Please advise ASAP.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,888 Views)

Terminology correction for 1. above:

Within LabVIEW, he can browse and create the url to map the lookout process variables to his LabVIEW aliases, however when executed, those aliased variables (front panel indicators and Citadel feeds) return errors and no value.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,879 Views)

The access denied error is more like a security issue. In Lookout Object Explorer, right click on process, and select Configure Network Security. If I give Everyone "No Access", or I just remove any permissions, I will get the access denied error in Tag Monitor.

Actually Lookout has no limitation on the number of exported processes or tags. All the tags in each process are the tags in Logos Server. The LabVIEW access these tags by Logos protocol. If Lookout set the security, and the LabVIEW doesn't have enough access level, it will get access denied error. For example, lookout gives no access to the process.

You can configure the Network Security for process, as well as any objects. By default, Everyone has Read&Write permission.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,860 Views)

All security settings on all four processes are identical (default) with no restrictions!  Also, the processes were not touched during the upgrade to Lookout 6.5.  It is the upgrade that broke the process links to LabVIEW!

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,857 Views)

I did some tests, but didn't see the problem. I could access tags in multiple processes by local or remote tag monitor. So I don't think it's a limit in the number of exported lookout processes.

You can do a simple test by running an additional example, besides the four processes. And then use tag monitor to access it locally. If it's able to access the 5th process, the problem is in that specific process.

Anything special in that process's name?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,826 Views)