From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Lookout communicating w/ DirectSoft and AutomationDirect 06 PLC's

Thinking of purchasing NI Lookout for the 1st time (very familiar w/ old Automation Direct Lookout packages).  I primarily use DirectLogic 06 PLC's (DirectSoft Software).  I do NOT have a copy of the the old PC-DL-PLUS driver from AutomationDirect (is this required?)  I am wanting to run Microsoft Windows Embedded 7 E (64-bit) on my SCADA PC (is this compatible?)  I connect to the PC through either port 1 on 06 PLC (RS232) to serial port on PC or through HO-ECOM100 module and to ethernet port on PC.  Wondering if latest NI Lookout rev's have solved any or all issues I've seen posted here.

Any insight/advice greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,739 Views)

Hi

1 I am wanting to run Microsoft Windows Embedded 7 E (64-bit) on my SCADA PC (is this compatible?)

Lookout is not supported by Windows Embedded system.

2 I primarily use DirectLogic 06 PLC's (DirectSoft Software).  I doNOT have a copy of the the old PC-DL-PLUS driver from AutomationDirect (is this required?) 

3 I connect to the PC through either port 1 on 06 PLC (RS232) to serial port on PC or through HO-ECOM100 module and to ethernet port on PC. 

For the above two questions,  as I am not sure about the protocal of your device, I will attach the helpme document and readme file for your reference. What's more, Lookout has a 7-day evaluation period, you can download it from the following link to have a try.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,667 Views)

ClayLASC

Instead of using the old PC-DL-PLUS driver from AutomationDirect, just create a Modbus Driver object and use that to communicate with the DirectLogic 06 PLC.  The 06 maps all of its data table to Modbus. You will want to get the Modbus conversion Excel file from Automation Directs downloads. This tool will help in determining how the PLCs native types are mapped to Modbus addresses. If you are converting from an old system that used the DL-PLUS driver, You should be able to export your aliases, adjust the addresses in a spreadsheet and then import them into the Modbus driver object. We have done this a number of times while updating older systems.

As for Windows 7 embedded, it is not supported, but that does not mean it won't work, it's just not guaranteed to work and you are on your own. I suspect that IF you get the Windows 7 embedded configuration set up correctly it probably would. I'd like to know how this works for you.  Check out the NI TPC-2215. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,638 Views)