From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout Upgrade

Season Greetings:

I have been using Lookout since it was released the version 5.0 (a few years ago), the latest I have is 6.0.2. Lookout has been used for several projects here, all successfully accomplished nation wide. We have projections that include using Lookout for many other things to come.

Reading in the tech forums recently I found someone asking/responding about a ‘possibility’ of putting down Lookout. Just that, make us to change point of views here. I’m not an alarmist but that idea made us to re-analyze projections, costs, learning time, migration, licenses, etc. Other companies are still producing their old hardware, but new software is been released as OS Windows evolves, (which is a nightmare for engineers sometimes), but it is better than a total shutdown. Lookout is just software.

Lookout does not run under Windows embedded, Linux, or Mac: it does run only under Windows (XP SP2 preferred). I haven't heard that there is a new Lookout to be released, the last Rev 6.0.2. has some bugs to be killed. There is a new Window coming up in a few weeks… Microsoft made public that Window XP will not be supported anymore from the second half of 2007. Our system departments must then install Vista every where for security and support reasons. I hope you have been working on this already.

Will Lookout be upgraded for Windows Vista? If not:

Could it be possible that Lookout designers migrate to Labview smoothly? Or:

Applications made for Lookout can be opened somehow with Labview? Or:

Any other software of yours is going to allow running applications made for Lookout?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,999 Views)
Again, Lookout 6.1 will support Vista. It will be released before long.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,987 Views)
I just talked to NI Sales.  Apparently, their information shows that 6.1 will be the last "version" made.  Basic web support only, no phone support.

Please tell me this isnt true, we have many customers currently using versions from 4 to 6.  We are upgrading some of our clients, but we wont install a product with no future.  We prefer, as do our customers to keep Lookout and not WonderWare, Citect, etc.for ease of development and training. 

Looking forward to hearing more.

Mike

Message Edited by Mike@DTSI on 02-21-2007 11:55 AM

Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,796 Views)
I too would like an honest answer to this question. As much as I like Lookout, I can't justify buying it anymore if a planned obsolesence is on the table. I would like NI to say one way or another - I can move on to something else, it's not that big of a deal for me. It's too bad - Lookout is such a great product, I always wondered why they didn't spotlight it a bit more.  And it has a pretty loyal following.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,782 Views)
If NI does discontinue Lookout will they release the code for Open source development?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,776 Views)
Hello,

I hate to answer this way, but we are not at liberty to post such information on this forum.  The sales force is the best channel to that information, as they do have some limited discretion in discussing future plans for products.

Again, I don't like having to post this way, but it's probably better to be clear about expectations than to just let it stay as an open question in the thread.

Your thoughts and opinions are very important - if you feel strongly about something you should definitely let your sales contacts know about it.  You can also file product suggestions - click the feedback link in the lower left at the Contact NI page.

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,760 Views)