From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 6 Web Client Crashing Browser

Hi,

We have a problem with Lookout 6 web client crashing Internet Explorer. This is becoming a *major* issue, so I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Details are as follows:

The act of switching to and from web pages with Lookout applications embedded is causing browser crashes. I had previously posted details of this problem several weeks ago. For details see:
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=190&message.id=2532&requireLogin=False

I was directed to NI support pages and in particular:
"Downloading a Lookout Web client process causes a crash in IEXPORER.exe KnowledgeBase 25LCF1J6". However, in spite of following the steps described in this article we still have the problem of browser crashes.

One Lookout client application seems to crash almost every time we switch pages, while other applications crash less often. One user has claimed that the Lookout web-client application crashed his PC. Is there something that a developer could inadvertently do that could introduce the problem of browser crashes?

Our users are starting to lose patience and we are concerned that they may simply stop using the Lookout Web client applications altogether. Hence, this issue is becoming a major problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards Brett Sheeran
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,086 Views)
Brett,

This is a known issue and there has been a fix implemented. The link to the patch is included below.

Lookout Version 6.0 for Windows 2000/NT/XP--Fixes
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/E9A7448EF92727E786256F9A006E26BD?opendocument

Regards,

Danny G
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,081 Views)
Thanks Danny,

I downloaded and installed the updates. Since then one of my web client browsers has only crashed once. However, the other web client browser still crashes every time the page has reloaded.

Can anyone please offer further suggestions or identify what I might have done wrong from the following steps?

Unzipped the download file and copied the following files to “D:\National Instruments\Lookout 6.0” on the Lookout server.
-hyper.cbx
-lookout.exe
-lookout6006.ocx
-modbus.cbx
-pot.cbx

Removed the file lookout6005.ocx from the Lookout server.

Exported the web files, effectively replacing the text “lookout6005.ocx” with “lookout6006.ocx” and changing the ClassID to 750D663E-F0E3-4733-B174-B9EDA504353A

Rebooted the server computer.

Downloaded lk60_web.exe from NI’s FTP site (again). Uninstalled and reinstalled lk60_web.exe on two clients. Now one client is only occasionally crashing the browser. Both client PC’s are running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.026 sp2. One difference between the two computers is: the “frequent crashing client” is connecting thru a dialup modem and the “occasionally crashing client” through a cellular network.

Thanks.

Regards Brett
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,075 Views)