From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 6.7.1 not connecting to GE 90-30 PLC

We have Lookout 6.7.1 running on a Windows 10 PC, trying to connect to a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC.  The PLC software (VersaPro) connects to the PLC in a XP virtual machine, but Lookout running in the (Win10) host does not connect, even if VersaPro is not running.

I tried a few different CPUs, networking modules and even cables, and tried some changes to the networking settings in Windows, but couldn't get it to connect.  Not even one time.  Using a serial connection to the PLC, Lookout is able to connect, but when switching back to Ethernet, it fails and I get the following alarm: "Error connecting: Unknown port name specified".

We have Lookout 6.6 running on Windows 7 on another machine, connecting to the same type of PLC hardware, and it connects and runs fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,416 Views)

You need an ini file to communicate from Lookout to the 90-30 PLC via Ethernet.  The ini file name is gef_cfg.ini and needs to go into the Windows folder.  It needs the following entries:

[GE_Status1]
IP_ADDR=192.168.1.99
[EthernetPort]
Type=TCPIP_ETH

The first name in brackets [GE_Status1] is the Lookout GE_Series90 object name, with the IP address of the GE 90-30 PLC under it.  Hopefully that solves your communication problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,339 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I have the file in the Windows folder, and it has similar contents:

[EthernetPort]
Type=TCPIP_ETH
[Ethernet]
TYPE=TCPIP_ETH
[PLC_GE1]
SNP_ID=<NULL>
IP_ADDR=192.168.20.2
DEFAULT_PORT=ENET
DEVICE_MODEL=90-30
[Serial]
PORT=COM1
TYPE=SNP_SERIAL
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10000
REQUEST_TIMEOUT=16000

The Lookout object name (PLC_GE1) and IP address are correct, but I'm not sure if I should be removing some of the extra lines.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,329 Views)