Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 6.7.1 not connecting to GE 90-30 PLC

We have Lookout 6.7.1 running on a Windows 10 PC, trying to connect to a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC.  The PLC software (VersaPro) connects to the PLC in a XP virtual machine, but Lookout running in the (Win10) host does not connect, even if VersaPro is not running.

I tried a few different CPUs, networking modules and even cables, and tried some changes to the networking settings in Windows, but couldn't get it to connect.  Not even one time.  Using a serial connection to the PLC, Lookout is able to connect, but when switching back to Ethernet, it fails and I get the following alarm: "Error connecting: Unknown port name specified".

We have Lookout 6.6 running on Windows 7 on another machine, connecting to the same type of PLC hardware, and it connects and runs fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,419 Views)

You need an ini file to communicate from Lookout to the 90-30 PLC via Ethernet.  The ini file name is gef_cfg.ini and needs to go into the Windows folder.  It needs the following entries:

[GE_Status1]
IP_ADDR=192.168.1.99
[EthernetPort]
Type=TCPIP_ETH

The first name in brackets [GE_Status1] is the Lookout GE_Series90 object name, with the IP address of the GE 90-30 PLC under it.  Hopefully that solves your communication problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,342 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I have the file in the Windows folder, and it has similar contents:

[EthernetPort]
Type=TCPIP_ETH
[Ethernet]
TYPE=TCPIP_ETH
[PLC_GE1]
SNP_ID=<NULL>
IP_ADDR=192.168.20.2
DEFAULT_PORT=ENET
DEVICE_MODEL=90-30
[Serial]
PORT=COM1
TYPE=SNP_SERIAL
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10000
REQUEST_TIMEOUT=16000

The Lookout object name (PLC_GE1) and IP address are correct, but I'm not sure if I should be removing some of the extra lines.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,332 Views)