Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging to an existing spreadsheet in LOOKOUT

I can find information on the site for Labview, but not for LOOKOUT.

I have successfully implemented the Spreadsheet Object in Lookout and it logs data in exactly the format I wish.

However I was wondering whether there was a way I could log data to an existing spreadsheet.

I still need to save the files under different file names daily.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Charlie T
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,876 Views)
This doesn't fix your problem, but I went through this issue last year, and found that it was not possible.
I now do as you are doing, copying the info from the CSV file that receives the Lookout data and pasting it into another XLS file, from which the statistics and charts are created.
I suppose it is possible to create Excel macros that would shorten the time required for data transfer, but my brief research found that the procedure still requires human intervention.

Aaron Gesicki
Sparta, WI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,876 Views)
Another option you can try is writing from Lookout to your existing Excel sheet using DDE. DDE Link and DDE Table are the two Objects you may want to look at. However, keep in mind that DDE communication isn't very reliable. And of course, this will be in addition to the Spreadsheet object you're using currently.

Regards,

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,876 Views)
Have used DDE Links and it kinda works:- trouble is I needed a different link for eack data member (had problems using DDETable) for each log. This is because the DDE link operates in real time and the reason for the use of the Spreadsheet Object is to log data at specific triggers.

This requires a different object for each cell and then for my data to be transferred from the spreadsheet (created by the Spreadsheet Object) this spreadsheet file needs to be opened.

The data appears in the cells automatically (with a slight delay once the spreadsheet is opened) but there is no way of telling which spreadsheet file is opened, once operned, because the same filename is used, but just stored in a different location.

The reason for using an existing sp
readsheet is to make the same calculations everyday with ease - and the incorrect data could easily be used.

Therefore, I can say it works, but you still need to open the original spreadsheet anyway, therefore it might be just as easy to cut and paste.

Thanks v much though!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,876 Views)