From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info about running ActiveX or dll on Lookout

Hello, I´m working on a gas company and they are interested in acquiring a third party software to use together with Lookout 6.0.2.
This software is used to calculate some values, which are obtained through a modbus in Lookout. The calculated values must be shown in the Lookout client process running.
The third party software designers said that the can compile it as a standalone aplication, a dll or as an ActiveX. I really don´t know much about dll and ActiveX, so my questions are:
1.- Is it possible in Lookout to run a third party dll or ActiveX that interacts with Lookout datamembers?
2.- Should this dll or ActiveX be compiled in some particular way in order to be recognized by Lookout?
3.- Is there some kind of tutorial or process example regarding this issues?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Luciano Di Sarno,
Electronic Engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,933 Views)
Lookout can use ActiveX controls.  Simple object based usage.
Lookout cannot use ActiveX methods.  Only properties and functions.

Mike
Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,922 Views)
Thanks for your answer. Could you please explain me what´s the difference between ActiveX controls and methods?
And if it´s not too much to ask, how to implement this simple object based usage. What are the properties and functions that will run on Lookout?

As you can see, I have a complete lack of information about this, so any help would be really appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,916 Views)
Methods are used for programming ActiveX controls.

Properties are a simple in/out.  Methods are a function call
Example Property:
Object.Property=MyValue
or
MyValue=object.property

Example Method:
MyValue=Object.Method(Parameter)

Lookout doesnt support the method... method.

Good luck
Mike
Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,914 Views)
I see. Thanks for the reply, it really helped. I´ll talk to the software designer and see if it is compatible with the Lookout "methods".

Have a nice weekend!

Luciano.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,912 Views)