Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info about running ActiveX or dll on Lookout

Hello, I´m working on a gas company and they are interested in acquiring a third party software to use together with Lookout 6.0.2.
This software is used to calculate some values, which are obtained through a modbus in Lookout. The calculated values must be shown in the Lookout client process running.
The third party software designers said that the can compile it as a standalone aplication, a dll or as an ActiveX. I really don´t know much about dll and ActiveX, so my questions are:
1.- Is it possible in Lookout to run a third party dll or ActiveX that interacts with Lookout datamembers?
2.- Should this dll or ActiveX be compiled in some particular way in order to be recognized by Lookout?
3.- Is there some kind of tutorial or process example regarding this issues?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Luciano Di Sarno,
Electronic Engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,932 Views)
Lookout can use ActiveX controls.  Simple object based usage.
Lookout cannot use ActiveX methods.  Only properties and functions.

Mike
Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,921 Views)
Thanks for your answer. Could you please explain me what´s the difference between ActiveX controls and methods?
And if it´s not too much to ask, how to implement this simple object based usage. What are the properties and functions that will run on Lookout?

As you can see, I have a complete lack of information about this, so any help would be really appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,915 Views)
Methods are used for programming ActiveX controls.

Properties are a simple in/out.  Methods are a function call
Example Property:
Object.Property=MyValue
or
MyValue=object.property

Example Method:
MyValue=Object.Method(Parameter)

Lookout doesnt support the method... method.

Good luck
Mike
Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,913 Views)
I see. Thanks for the reply, it really helped. I´ll talk to the software designer and see if it is compatible with the Lookout "methods".

Have a nice weekend!

Luciano.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,911 Views)