Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get "No response from socket" alarm every few minutes. (modbus ethernet)

Every so often this alarm occurs.  Is there anything to try?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,492 Views)
There are couple of reasons that may cause this errors, such as the networking problem, or communication problem.
Does the alarm disappear and the communication come back after a while?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,481 Views)
As soon as the alarm occurs, it clears.  We do have a lot of communication, but it fails at :01 the same frequency as :10 polls.  I have always gotten some of these nuisance alarms over the years, but have filtered them out of the alarm summary by only displaying alarm levels 9 and 10.  It looks like the socket error is at an 8 priority, is there some place to adjust the built in alarms priority levels?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,476 Views)

Modbus communication alarms really can be a pain.  If you filter the display as you mentioned, but then you want to look back at those alarms for trending within the lookout gui.....Trouble.   Lookout basically freezes while it tries to display sometimes 1000's of past alarms of priority 8 and below.  I have found this problematic and acknowleging same alarms is also a freeze operation.

It would indeed be usefull to allow changing of alarm priorities or better yet....modbus communication alarm settings in particular.  For example, I only want to know if the alarm persists for more than lets say...ten seconds.  I don;t really care if I miss one or two polls on one device.  I use Modbus (mostly ethernet at this time) extensively and this is definitely a nuisance.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,470 Views)
I think it's hard-coded. You can't adjust this level.
We have realized the problem and the inconvenience, let me see if this can be a new feature in next release.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,456 Views)