Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop NI OPC Server from running always?

I was using NI OPC Server to test an application. then I choosed "Exit and Shutdown" in the NI OPC Server. It exits. But after few minutes, it is again showing up in the Task bar. How to stop that from running again and again?

Thanks,
logic
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,755 Views)
If something is connecting the NI OPC Server, it will start to run. I guess that a shared variable in the variable engine is connecting the opc server. You deployed it before but have not undeployed it. You can undeploy the variable in variable manager.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
Message 2 of 8
(8,750 Views)
Thanks Ryan.  This was driving me nuts!   :smileytongue:
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,223 Views)

Hi 

I am having a similar issue. Is there a way of stopping the NI OPC Server or the shared variable engine automatically when I close my exe. Any ideas would be great!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,016 Views)

What's your LabVIEW and NI OPC Server version?

You need to manually close the NI OPC Server. If it starts again after you close it, it means something like Lookout or shared variable engine is connecting to it.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,012 Views)

Hi Ryan,

Im using ni Labview 2010 and evaluation of NI OPC Server  v 4.500.462.0.u (license on the way). I am connecting to Festo EZOPC. 

New users will be logging on to this PC and running the application quite a lot so it would be great if they didn't need to learn how to manually "Stop Process" in the Distribution System Manager.

Is there an activeX control, CMD commands or  labview "thing" I don't know about that could stop this process automatically when they close the application????

Cheers

Ross

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,998 Views)

Do you want to automatically stop the NI OPC Server or the process in shared variable engine?

Do you have DSC module? If you want to stop the process in shared variable engine, I think you can use the Deploy Library.vi/Undeploy Library.vi. It means you programmatically deploy the library at the beginning of your process, and undeploy it at the end.

But I don't know a good way in LabVIEW to programmatically stop the NI OPC Server. But if you undeploy the LabVIEW library, to keep the NI OPC Server running actually doesn't matter.

You can also post this question in LabVIEW forum. They may have more experience with LabVIEW.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,992 Views)
Hi Ryan Yes the deploy/undeploy function in dsc worked. The answer was under my nose. Thanks a million for your help Cheers Ross
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,987 Views)