Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically initiate a dial-up connection from Lookout and send an attachment

Folks:

I am trying to send (as an attachment) a spreadsheet file via email. How can I programatically (from Lookout) initiate the default dial-up, send the email (and attachment) and after success (btw, how do I measure this?), ... then close the dial-up connection.

I am using 6.0.1 running on XP Pro (SP2).

Thanks!
Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,424 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I am assuming the Lookout you want to send the email from is not on a network.  You could easily use the Mailer object if you were on a network, and had access to the SMTP server.  If dial-up is the only connection to the rest of the world, you can try connecting to the network using Remote Access Service (RAS).  Here's some info' on RAS:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/server/proddocs/en-us/network/xns05.msp...

I had tried this way back when VPN wasn't as common.  I will try to dig up the details and let you know if I find them.  I really doubt if I still have them around though  Smiley Sad

Hope this at least gives you some ideas. 

-Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,416 Views)
Hello Khalid,

Thanks for the response; I wanted to add that I already have the standard dial-up to the Internet setup, in other words, if I try to launch the browser it will connect to the Internet (via dial-up connection) but, "I" must then close the connection when I am done. I want to do a similar thing within Lookout. I want Lookout to dial into the Internet (this is a stand alone system with a dial-up phone line), send a spreadsheet document via the mailer object and then close the Internet dial-up connection. Make sense? Sorry if I wasn't clearer earlier.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,408 Views)
Hi Kevin,

Here are some documents that should get you started with setting up a dial-up modem in Lookout and sending an email:

Dial-up modem settings for Lookout:

Commands for communicating with a modem:

If you need to dial a number you will use the pager object (take a look at the links from this page as well):

Example of using Lookout Mailer object:

Lookout Mailer object troubleshooting:

Check out the Lookout help on the mailer object.  There is an attachment data member that you will use to point it to the file you want to attach to the email.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Regards,
Bryan Snarr
Field Engineer
Northern California
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,395 Views)

Hi Kevin,

What do _you_ have to do to disconnect?  Do you have to click on some tray icon and select "disconnect"?  Can this step be automated somehow?  For example with a batch file?  If yes, then we can have Lookout launch IE (thus connecting to the network), send the email using the Mialer, and then run the batch file to disconnect. 

Hope I understood the issue correctly.

-Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,388 Views)