From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can one develop "view only" client applications in Lookout?This is to develop remote monitoring without control functionality.

How can one develop "view only" client applications in Lookout?This is to develop remote monitoring without control functionality.
We have 10 Client Nodes in the field and we need two "View Only" functionality in Client machines located on Supervisory Desks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,868 Views)

The easiest way would be to assign all your Control objects (like Pots, PushButtons, etc.) the same level of Security Level (if you go into the properties of these objects you'll see this setting).

Then, for the "view only" stations, have all the users log on with a Security level of lesser than this, i.e., give their accounts the appropriate security level. This way, they will not be able to change any settings -- they will see a "stop" symbol when they move the cursor on the object. You will have to copy the Lookout.sec file to all machines. See Online help on deploying Clients.

Also, this way, you don't have to maintain separate versions of your Client process for these "view only" stations.

Hope this helps.

Khalid 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,868 Views)
I have done this. There are many ways to approach this but I will offer what I think is the easiest. This will work ONLY if you have been assigning security levels to your objects (objects that actually control devices in the field) greater than zero AND allowing a security level of zero to view all panels. When I develop interfaces I do this just for creating a non control client.

Basically, you remove all users from the Lookout client in the user manager. You will not be able to remove the built-ins, "Guest" and "Administrator". Now when the end users tries to login using his normal login he will be denied. Consequently, he will not be able to control. But, he will still be able to view all the information since a no login can view a panel with a viewing se
curity level of zero. You must ensure any pushbuttons that are used to open panels have a security level of zero.

Now you can copy this security profile by finding the lookout.sec file and copying it to another non-control client computer. In Windows NT this file is located in the system32 directory.

There are many other ways but I find this the easiest.

Regards,
Tommy Scharmann
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,868 Views)
Thanks khalid.Appreciate your suggestion.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,868 Views)