From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Scales

Good Afternoon Friends,

I work in an IT department and we have hit some issues after restoring an old Lookout Project file used to control some lab equipment.

We are reading three digital scales (measuring the weight of three cylinders holding liquid) and controlling three pumps to amend flow rates over time. Our lab technicians believe that after the restore, the weight displayed on the laptop running Lookout is reading 2.5 KG for example, but it should be reading to a much finer resolution and displaying units down to 2,500,00 mg.

Could there be some kind of setting that needs amending within the software, or an incorrect setup on the COM port reading the digital scales output?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance 

Jason 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,607 Views)

What kind of object did you use to connect the hardware in Lookout?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,569 Views)

thanks for the reply.

We use a VScom usb to serial (RS232) adaptor. It has 8 ports of which we use 6. I understand this uses a UART chip and driver set.

I'm becoming more sure that our issue is we are not reading down to a low enough level of resolution .i.e. Only reading full 1 Kg when we need 1.234 Kg. Is this likely to be a project file issue (this should not have ever changed from when it was working correctly) or an output issue from our Mettler Toledo weighing terminal.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,549 Views)

So according to your description, your VScom usb to serial (RS232) adaptor is connected to Lookout, what's more, there is also a Mettler Toledo weighing terminal conncecting to Lookout,  Lookout will  acquire data from VScom usb to serial (RS232) adaptor and then transmit date to Mettler Toledo weighing terminal, is that right? what I want to ask is what drivers do you use in you Lookout project to connect two hardwares so that I can judge if you have missed some configurations. Generally speaking, if you have not modified the Lookout code, there is low possibility that the problem comes from this Lookout, I suggest you check your Mettler Toledo weighing terminal configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,532 Views)