Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Lookout have a driver for SLC 5/05 and 1500 over ethernet

Does Lookout communicate with the AB SLC 5/05 over ethernet and the AB 1500 via the Net DNI over ethernet ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,404 Views)
Hi,

Lookout does not have a built in driver to communicate to an AB SLC 5/05 or the AB 1500. However, if you have an OPC server for the device, Lookout can communicate to it through that with the OPC Client Object. Check out the following link about using RSLinx with Lookout.

Using RSLinx OPC Server

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,404 Views)
Yes - use the AB-SLC500 driver and drop the interface down to choose ethernet. You dont need to worry about the PLC model, they all seem to work for a 505.

It works fine, we have been using it for years without any major problems. If there is very heavy network traffic, you can get connection problems. But other than that its ok.

regards,

John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,404 Views)
I just want to warn you that the AB-SLC500 object in Lookout was not designed to support Ethernet. The option exists in the list because it was implemented for the PLC 5 Series. Therefore, be careful basing your decision on using this Ethernet driver with the SLC 505.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,404 Views)
Hello we just bought a used machine that has lookout 5.1 and I need to change the IP address for my slc500.  I keep reading that you have a drop down selection for the slc500 that includes ethernet.  I do not have that ability.  Am I missing something? 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,822 Views)

Several years ago (back in Lookout 3.8 days) there was ethernet for AB SLC-5/05, it was a choice on the pull down menu for the communications type. It works great.

then in the days of Lookout 5.X, NI removed the ethernet for AB SLC-5/05. I believe the issue was that some users were having difficulty in understanding the I/O addressing, expecially when they would have an analog input/output card in the chassie. The issue is that RSLogix 'neatly' organizes this I/O table for us, however, NI can only get the I/O table in its 'raw' form. And this caused confusion for users not experienced with how the I/O table is truly layed out. A user can experiment with a bench/test system and see how the I/O is layed out and get a good understanding. But a another method is to write the analog input value to a "N" file address, and use that in Lookout (remember only the I/O is the issue) Also, you can have Lookout write to another "N" file address, and in the SLC, move that "N" address to the Analog Ouput.

I still have a SLC file for Lookout that has the ethernet enabled (works with Lookout V5.x) but I bet Ryan can send you one if you need it.

I have upgraded to Lookout V6.2 and making a driver object to talk to AB SLC-5/05 on ethernet works great. (I love native drivers, and hate using RSLinx OEM to do OPC (for out ControLogix5000 processors)

If a person can work thru how I/O tables are truly layed out (one big matrix actually) go direct and dont' use OPC.

Remember, this isn't a fault/limitation of Lookout or NI, it is how AB layes out their I/0 table, and how the addressing we see in RSLogix is actually not the true representation of the actual matrix. (and this matrix is all that is actually available, AB just makes it more 'readable' because you (or who ever setup the chassie configuration) told RSLogix what cards are in which slot, so RSLogix can minipulate the table to show it to you more 'pretty'.

If NI would add a chassie configuration to the AB SLC driver, then this issue would not exist. But I don't think we want to do that.

Hope this was helpful!

Rich Anderson

Message 6 of 9
(3,818 Views)

The choice for slc ethernet was added in lookout 6.0. I don't remember if we had it in 3.8 before.

Rich - Is the SLC file you mentioned from lookout 3.x or 4.x software?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,810 Views)
Thanks for the replies.  I actually found a thread where it said that 5.1 does not have the ethernet option in the drop down menu.  They said you have to use the allbrad.cbx file from version 5.0 and it will work.  They had the file posted and I tried it and it worked fine.  I am up and communicating fine now.  Thanks guys.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,806 Views)

Ryan, the AB Object file I have is from Lookout V5 before it was removed in a later V5 (for example, I have it from 5.0 before it was removed in 5.2 [don't know for exact if the subVersion# is accurate, just an example]) But it is for V5 before removed.

Rich

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,803 Views)