Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty with modem communication

I was recently hacked bad.  I had to totally format my hard drive.  I reinstalled Windows 7 and Lookout 6.7.1 as well as appropriate .l4p, .l4t, lka and lks files, which pretty much brought me back to where I was before the hack.  However, my phone communications are failing.  We use both Direct Logic D340 and M340 modicoms in the field.  Lookout is occasionally communicating with the M340's, but it is erratic.  It is not talking AT ALL to the D340 and the modems keep getting stuck whenever they try.  We use a variety of modems in the field, but most are Sixnet VT-MODEM-1WW.  Oddly enough, I thought my radio communications would be the issue, but they are all communicating perfectly.

I have checked the settings on all 8 of my NI PCIe 8430/8 (RS-232) comm devices and the BPS, Data bits, parity, stop bits and flow control all match what is on Lookout.  The comm ports also match to what we had before the hack.  They are running the same driver as they were before the hack (NI 3.9.0.49154).  I had tried the newer version of the driver (15), but it was having the exact same issues, which is why I downgraded to the version we were originally running, HOPING that was the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have been plugging away at this for the better part of a week and have hit a steel reinforced brick wall.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,441 Views)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The modems are connected to the server by a SCSI cable.  Of the eight NI PCIe 8430/8 (RS-232) the following occurs:

Port 1 goes to a modem that is connect to a MDS Master Station that I have never seen turned on.

Ports 2-6 go to the above Sixnet Modems for communication with our stations.

Ports 5-8 connect to nothing. 

Would it help if I essentially turned off those ports that aren't communicating?  I really am grasping at straws here and our Information Technology department here is also at a loss.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,382 Views)

CORRECTION:

Port 1: Connects to a Boca Research Model # M0024E modem.  To be perfectly honest, I don't know what this does.  I know it does not provide internet.

Port 2:  Connects to a MDS Master Station that I have never seen turned on.

Ports 3 - 6 Connect to four (4) Sixnet Modems that communicate with the PLC's at the stations.

Ports 7 & 8:  Connect to nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,376 Views)