Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citadel Backup procedure

Does anyone know the correct procedure for backing up the Lookout database. We currently have a system installed that is configured to backup every 3 days. When this happens we are experiencing a massive memory leek that causes the pc to crash. We need to be able to backup the database with Lookout running and without causing any dataloss or stopping the process.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,548 Views)
I generally program a Delay On Timer and a Pulse Timer to inform the operator to backup manually. In my opinion, this allows the operator to verify that the data is has been backed up. I have tried using an automatic backup but without verifiying the process, who knows what happens. Hope this helps.
Brian T. Kinard
President - SCADA and Security Division
2110 Nance Street
Newberry, SC 29108
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,548 Views)
I too have had problems backing up the database, I have used the M&A Exployer to copy the data down to a shared file, but this is not live and has to be updated each time the backup is preformed.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,548 Views)

Where can I find the steps to do a Manual Backup of the Lookout Database?

Thanks.

SCADA Programmer at the Coachella Valley Water District.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,806 Views)
Create a new database in MAX. It can be in a different folder on same computer, or on a remote computer. Follow this KB to archive data from one database to another. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E076A0661E03F1EB862571A800079E7B?OpenDocument And then, you will have a copy in the new database. The archiving operation just copy the new data. You can periodically do it.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,788 Views)

This backup procedure seems understandable enough.

Now in the event of a citadel database loss or corruption, how is this archive reliably restored. Does Lookout need to be running/stopped? Does the Lookout Database directory need to be cleared/deleted? Can max remember or find the citadel DB archive name or is only the directory location important? Can or how can databases be merged for partial restoration?

Is there a knowledgebase article that explains this? Simplicity is welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,785 Views)

When it creates the new Database, Lookout doesn't use that Database does it? It's just a backup copy?

SCADA Programmer at the Coachella Valley Water District.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,767 Views)

It's just a backup copy. Actually it's just another database attached.

In MAX, you see all the attached databases under "My Computer". Lookout or other NI product can use these attached databases. If you right click on the database and select detach, Lookout cannot use it. If a database is detached(not delete), the data files are still on the disk, but you cannot see this database in MAX. You can attach it back anytime you need it. If a database is deleted, the data files are deleted.

In Lookout, select Option->System, here is the configuration of the default database it uses. You can also configure a different database for process. In Edit Mode, select File->Modify Process. One process either uses the default database, or a specific one.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,760 Views)

The archived database is just another database. If you want to recover the data, just archive the data from the backup database to the one you use.

Of course, if the original database is corrupted, you can create a new one for lookout use, and archive data to the new one.

If you detach the database from MAX, you can copy the database folder to anywhere else. When you need it, just attach the database folder again.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,759 Views)