From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applicom OPC Server Data Members Identification Help

I am using an Applicom PC104 Profibus DP card with Lookout. I am using the Applicom OPC Server object in Lookout. When I look/try to configure the Profibus slaves - each slave (equipment) has a bunch of modules associated with it (eg. MODULE0-IX0-0 through MODULE0-IX4-8). How do I know which Module contains the information I am looking for (in this case I am looking for an 4-20 mA analog signal from a pH meter). Any help is greatly appreciated. The document that NI has on "useful consideartions..." did not help. Thanks.

Sudhi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,656 Views)
Okay, there a theoretically two ways to connect to your PC104PFB card - I think.

You might be able to connect with the native Lookout object ProfibusDP_Applicom object (applicom.cbx). However, therefore you need to know how the native DP datamember like B0 or D0 (Standard descriptor)... maps on your device with MODULE0-IX0-0. I believe Applicom might have some documentation about (their) Profibus DP addressing and about the nameing for the ApplicomIO. Applicom Online

I would start as well just with the applicom tools (ReadWait/WriteWait) to see if you can write to the device's I/O.
This might help further as well: Using an Applicom Profibus Board
As you see this document explains the second way you could communicate. By using Applicoms OPC server you need in Lookout the OPCClient object. As I saw on the web ApplicomIO 2.2 could be used as OPC server and should be straight forward when you use Lookout's OPC client.

Hope this helps - let us know.

Roland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,656 Views)
Thanks Roland. There are a few issues here:
1. The ProfibusDP_Applicom object says it is unable to load the Applicom Drivers. I am using ApplicomIO 2.1 SP5.
2. So I am using their OPC server. And this arrangement works out well. But the issue still remains which channel I should be looking at. May be this really is a question for the Applicom guys you think? Or if you have experience (and ofcourse the time) with the Applicom Boards, I can send you a more detailed description.

Each slave seems to have a bunch of Discrete Inputs and Numeric Inputs. I am figuring that the Numeric inputs should contain my analog data. But there are a few channels..... Am I on the right track here?

Thanks. Appreciate your time.

Sudhi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,656 Views)
Hello Sudhi.

I think that you need to contact the Applicom people for them to help you set up your OPC Server.
Remember, that Lookout as an OPC Client will communicate to the software items generated by the OPC Server. It does not know where what hardware the data is coming from (this is defined on the OPC Server too).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,656 Views)
1. Which version of Lookout are you using? In an old version of Lookout we might forgot to install the appcyc.dll. That should be in the Lookout folder.

2. Yes, it would be better to contact Applicom, since they install the server, which has to be configured first, before you can connect with a client (Lookout). To test the server configuration you might use as well our OPC Test Client (Server Explorer, which is installed as well with the latest Lookout 5.0)

Actually, I have just some minor experience with the PCI-1500PFB which however uses the Applicom 3.4 driver and not the ApplicomIO. Even though, I don't know for sure if the native Lookout applicom.cbx would work with the ApplicomIO. But I assume that underneath you just need to configure
the PC104PFB with any kind of tool (set EquID, ChanID, Protocol...) and the initialisation has to be started at PC startup.

I've attached the appcyc.dll, just in case you wouldn't find it on your installation.

Feel free to add any experience you will make. Other DevZone users might find it helpful.

Hope this helps.
Roland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,656 Views)
I am using Lookout 5.0. I do have the DLL that you sent me. It still doesnt work with any of the related objects in Lookout 5.0 for the PC104 card - although, functionally the PC104 card is similar to the ISA bus Applicom card. Perhaps it doesn't work with the ApplicomIO software. Once I have this figured out, I will put together a 'road map'. Thanks.

Sudhi
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,656 Views)
I am using Lookout 5.0. I do have the DLL that you sent me. It still doesnt work with any of the related objects in Lookout 5.0 for the PC104 card - although, functionally the PC104 card is similar to the ISA bus Applicom card. Perhaps it doesn't work with the ApplicomIO software. Once I have this figured out, I will put together a 'road map'. Thanks.

Sudhi
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,656 Views)