From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquiring data from remote terminal connected to our network.

We have installed a QSI QTERM-G70 terminal on our network. This terminal would be used to enter data from several plant in-process audits. This terminal is an Ethernet-enabled graphic terminal with object-based programming. It stores the firmware and the user application in a compressed format in flash memory and then transfers them to RAM memory when the terminal is powered on.
We will be entering a 9 digit numeric string which contains three separate entries of interest. What I want to do is import these strings, this date, into Lookout. Then I want to Hypertrend the three separate parameters as well as log this info in a spreadsheet.
I need some help on where and how to begin. I can successfully ping this dev
ice from our SCADA computer, so I know it's out there.
I've already created a Lookout process file for this, with a control panel which contains an ASCII object. Now what?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,261 Views)

Hi,

We will need to know the communication protocol used by this terminal so we can chaff-out the useful info' form the raw data.

You will use the IPASCII object (instead of the ASCII object). Here's a KB article explaining the details (applicable to both ASCII and IPASCII objects).

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/a78096bbd72d0d388625681d0056b1be?OpenDocument

Hope this gets you started at least.

Regards,

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,261 Views)
Khalid -

Creating the IPASCII object did allow me to enter the TCP/IP address. That's progress. I have not yet completed the Knowledge Base article, so this might be an unnecessary discussion once I do my homework.

Tech Service at QSI sent us this comment in response to our request for detail on communication protocol:

"For packet addressing you are using TCP/IP. For protocol you are writing your own. You have to figure this out. So far your protocol is 9 bytes that you send to the SCADA. Protocol can be any format of data exchange.
You need to program the SCADA using a IPASCII object. You need to program the SCADA to wait for you to connect or to go out and connect to the G70 and then exchange data."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,261 Views)
Glad to know about the responsive support team at QSI. The RQVs and RSVs can be tricky. Start off with no request-formatting at all; you will see the complete unformatted response in Response datamember. Then gradually start playing with RQVs and RSVs.

You may want to check-out this free tool from sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/tdimon.shtml

TDIMon let's you see the TCP/IP data going back and forth. Their PortMon, for serial and parallel ports, is another excellent utility to have in our software toolbox 🙂

Good luck!

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,261 Views)
It's been a while, but I'm back on this. I tried leaving the Request format blank - that didn't work. then I tried using what's in the attached file, without success.
It appears that port definition is hanging this up, although perhaps it's the RQV and RSV details.
I need more help making this work.
I've attached the Lookout files with this object and it's current configuration.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,261 Views)
I am afraid this involves setting up some test system and working with port numbers (like you rightly pointed out); unfortunately I do not have time for this.

You may want to seek NI Support's help with this issue.

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,261 Views)