From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

libnipalu.so failed to initialize

I am trying to install NI-VISA 15.0.0 on my x86_64 computer with Ubuntu 14.04.3.

I followed the procedures listed in other threads for installing NI-VISA on Ubuntu. I mounted the .iso image and executed 'sudo ./INSTALL --nodeps'. The install seemed successful, with no error messages.

However, when I launch 'visaconf', I get the following error:

"libnipalu.so failed to initialize

Perhaps you need to run updateNIDrivers

Aborted (core dumped)"

Executing 'updateNIDrivers', I get

"Configuring NI-KAL for kernel version 3.16.0-53-generic...

Building module nikal...

nikal successfully updated."

After rebooting, I still get the error. From other threads regarding this issue, I understand that there is an issue with systems having more than 4GB of addressable memory. Since I have 8GB of RAM on my system, I limited the addressable kernel memory by adding 'mem=4096M' to the kernel boot parameter list. After rebooting and updatingNIDrivers again, I still get the error.

When I run 'niSystemReport', I get the following error message: '/proc/ksyms: File not found'

I'm wondering if that might have anything to do with this issue. The full niSystemReport log is attached.

I have tried ./UNINSTALL, restarting, and ./INSTALL a couple of times, and with two different version of NI-VISA, but I am having no luck. After searching through all the threads regarding this issue, I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 3
(4,396 Views)

if I read the system log correctly, none of the kernel drivers are installed.

libnipalu needs nipalk to load and run correctly, but nothing in the syslog say anything about nipalk. Find a way to install all the kernel drivers (there are multiple of them maybe). I've never done this on Ubuntu since we don't support it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,585 Views)

Have you found a solution to this issue?  I am having a very similar problem installing NI-VISA and NI-488.2 on Debian 8.3.  Please post if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,585 Views)