From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpibprtk.ko compile error

Update...

I downloaded the latest NI-VISA w/ 64bit support - still having problems...

Now downloading the latest 488 software.  The NI-VISA package did not appear to update the

source for gpibprtk.ko.  So for now the problem still stands.

Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi All,

I perhaps posted this in the wrong group, so I'll post it here.

Setup:

Using redhat enterprise 5 on a 64 bit dell workstation.  Labview professional 8.6 fresh install.

I need to get NIVISA configured/running to communicate with test instruments on a LAN using VXI-11.

Don't have a GPIB card - all communication/control will be over a LAN/TCPIP.

Problem:
Can't run VISA utilities because module gpibprtk.ko can't be found.

Searching the forums, this seems to be a 64bit / 32bit issue.  Running updateNIDriver and observing the output gets me to this:

/bin/mv objects/gpibprtk.ko objects/gpibprtk-interfaceFile.ko
ld -r objects/gpibprtk-interfaceFile.ko objects/gpibprtk-processed.o -o objects/gpibprtk.ko
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (objects/gpibprtk-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (objects/gpibprtk.ko) is not supported
make: *** [objects/gpibprtk.ko] Error 1
ERROR: failed to build gpibprtk.ko
gpibprtk.ko failed to update.
WARNING: could not unload module nipalk from memory
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src
nipalk.ko successfully updated.
Update of National Instruments drivers failed.

it would appear that the module is 32bit and won't link to a 64 bit kernel.  I'm by no means the expert on compiling and linking, but the link

error seems to be the central problem - no link =  no module = no workie.

So, I assume I need this module loaded to get my VXI-11/LAN stuff to work even though I'm not using GPIB - at least not the hardware interface.

I've attached the output from updateNIDriver for reference.  All software is from the CD - workstation has no external access - although I can "sneakernet" stuff onto the system.

Thanks,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,146 Views)

Update #2.

I downloaded and installed ni4882-2.5.4b1-release.tar.gz.  This contained the source for ni488k.ko which compiled and installed OK.

VISA interactive utility can now talk to a LXI instrument on the lan, so it looks like we're up:)

I assume the new version of NI-VISA now calls ni488k.ko to be loaded if not there rather than gpibprtk.ko.

I would have thought the driver would have been included in the NI-VISA 64 bit ISO update package since I thought that this is where the orginal 488 source files came from, but apparently, you need both - maybe because the 488 driver is still in beta?

So it appears that I've answered my own question - by installing some updates, but I'll leave this here in case it is useful to someone else.

Since the workstation is stand-alone, the automagic update approach is not an option - the old fashion read the error msg and solve it is required here:\

Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,017 Views)

I thought I marked this earlier, but apparently not. The fix I posted worked.

Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,018 Views)