From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What distro do you use NI products on?

As the topic says- what distro(s) do you use NI (LV, VISA etc) products on...and why?

I use Mandriva 2008.1/2009.0 and Opensuse 11.0 on my laptop, but officially support Mandriva only.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,438 Views)

I use Fedora 11 on all my systems, except the GPIB/LabView ones, which are stuck at Fedora 10 (because of the NI driver issues).

Fedora is nice because I tend to appreciate and use the cutting-edge improvements. selinux is also useful for securing systems relatively painlessly.

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,559 Views)

openSUSE 10.2

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,559 Views)

openSUSE 10.3 is my preffered distro for NI hardware, but I have Debian Lenny at home. In the office, I use a multi-boot machine with help from partimage to switch between a few different configurations for several distros (openSUSE 10.3, 11.0; RHEL 4.7, 5.3) when customer questions come up. Out of those, I like openSUSE 11.0 the least, since it shipped KDE 4 :-S

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,559 Views)

I've used Fedora 7 and 9.  Still trying to get 10 and 11 up.

The principle reason is comfort.  My projects are not products and my comfort zone is with Fedora.  Not a good reason, but the best one I have.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,559 Views)

NI does not give Linux user much choose 😞

I prefer CentOS 5.x, but since I need NIScope/NIFgen, so I use OpenSuSE 10.3.

According to

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/35D2B5E483A001A18625716B005BE464?OpenDocument

There is not one distribution fully support all NI's products !!!

Guess what your customers will say ?  They will use Windows if they use NI's products 😞

So, I use OpenSuSE 10.3, but sadly, I can't make any of my customers switch to Linux ... yet.

Regards

KC

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,559 Views)

I use LabVIEW on Slackware Linux.  I have used it on every version since about 10.0.  This includes DAQmxBase, DAQmx, GPIB, and VISA.  In my research I use it with a PCI-6110 DAQ board, 8-10 GPIB instruments, one RS-232 instrument, and a USB-6009.  I am using Linux over Windows because of its stability - my experiment will eventually have to run for about 60 days without interruption and I'm not confident that Windows can do that.  And I chose Slackware because I have been using it for about 10 years and I am very pleased with its stability.  It took a little effort to get everything to install the first time because I had to populate the rpm database to satisfy all the dependencies but it runs very well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,559 Views)