From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run updateNIDrivers

@mannu7410 wrote:

Last I remember, I worked with Kernel 4.4.x and Was able to compile NIKAL with just one error (GPL License Error || On ubuntu 14.04 64-bit). 

The GPL license error is legally *serious*. It means nothing less than you're just about to do an *illegal* act - breaking the license. If you do work around this check and run that code, you *deliberately* break the license. And this means nothing less than the license is completely void - you're *not* allowed to use the Linux kernel anymore, you have to remove it from all your systems ! In some countries, deliberate licenses violations are also criminal acts. 

Oh, and your posting implies that you already broke the license (public confession).

I'm guessing many of you use that stuff professionally. Imagine what would happen, if your organisation is confronted w/ a lawsuit and has to remove all their Linux installations, just because you tried to get the broken NI driver running.

In the current situation - NI refusing to publish their drivers under GPL - there's no legal way (except reverse engineering and writing your own driver) for using many of the NI devices (eg. the USB-based) on recent Linux kernels. 

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(832 Views)

1. You don't have to change the kernel code in order to make this license thing work.

2. If writing a code which makes that $490 USB-NI Device work, then it should at least be given a try.

3. On professional front, I was using these devices on Windows machines because NI does support Windows and latest updates and software are always available, and obviously, that code can not be changed.

4. Linux is for personal learning. I am neither asking nor encouraging anyone here to mess up with GPL Licence.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(825 Views)

@mannu7410 wrote:

1. You don't have to change the kernel code in order to make this license thing work.

That doesn't change the legal situation. Linking proprietary code against GPL-only symbols is a clear license violation, thus terminating it immediately (that's the terms).

Now that you're informed, if you still do it, you're doing it deliberately.

No idea about your country, but over here in Germany, it would be a criminal offense. 

2. If writing a code which makes that $490 USB-NI Device work, then it should at least be given a try.

If you deliberately ignore legal problems - that's your responsibility.

You have been warned.

3. On professional front, I was using these devices on Windows machines because NI does support Windows and latest updates and software are always available, and obviously, that code can not be changed.

On my professional front, I've evaluated NI devices and had to drop them due to lack of drivers. (and no: proprietary kernel modules are not suited at all for any professional work).

Of course, Windows never has been an option for us.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
Message 13 of 13
(822 Views)