Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 9.10 with kernel 2.6.31-16-generic

I've been trying to get NIDAQMx working on my Ubuntu for quite a while now (see http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&thread.id=54454). Does anyone has experience running any NI device on that (or a simlar) configuration. Is this a problem with Ubuntu or with my (probably "too new") kernel version? Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thank you.

Does it make sense trying to get this working or should I rather switch to another distribution. If so, which one can you recommend?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,272 Views)

From your forum post it looks like you are trying to use just a USB device?  And from your system report I just see USB so I'm guessing that is the case.  DAQmx Base is the software you need to use to support that, the DAQmx software doesn't support any USB devices.

The good news is that DAQmx Base supports USB through the user-mode USB support, so you might be able to take the kernel out of the picture.  I'm not sure how to do that though, somebody else who knows DAQmx Base better would have to help out here.  If you are stuck using the kernel (PCI device, GPIB-USB), with 2.6.31 you won't have much luck with the existing software.

Basically you have the following possible options:

• Eliminate your kernel dependency and just use USB through DAQmx Base (if this is possible)
  • Downgrade your kernel to an earlier version (2.6.28 or earlier?) and follow the Ubuntu tutorial to get things installed
  • Use an earlier version of Ubuntu such as 8.04 and then just follow the tutorial
  • Use a supported distribution and version
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,941 Views)