Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline for DAQmx on Ubuntu 20.04

Solved!
Go to solution

We're considering buying some NI cDAQ hardware for our Ubuntu-based test systems (with the Python API). However, our corporate overloads InfoSec team aggressively deprecate older versions of all OSes. I see that right now NI only supports Ubuntu 18. Is there any roadmap / timeline for Ubuntu 20 (and beyond) support so that we can make sure that we dont end up with a brick in < 2 years (when said security team deprecates Ubuntu 18)?

I've been searching like made, but couldn't find anything.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,020 Views)

(Windows is not an option at all)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,019 Views)

I've got the same problem with openSUSE 15.2.   When is it going to be available?  15.1 has been deprecated for a while now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,983 Views)
Solution
Accepted by shew82

Ubuntu 20.04 and openSUSE Leap 15.2 are both on NI's short-term roadmap.  I can't make any comments on exact dates but I would expect a DAQmx release within the next 6 months to have support for both of these operating systems.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,964 Views)

This indicates no Linux (not any flavor) support for DAQmx:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/21/ni-hardware-and-operating-system-com...

Is there any activity to support? If so, what is the roughly estimated time we could see a support solution?

We are building test systems that require Ubuntu support and have purchased multiple NI USB-6501. It'd be great to have some additional tools, similar to NI MAX, to do bench testing and verification.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,196 Views)

Hi @RoboPuppy,

USB support on Linux has been challenging for us to justify investments in. At the moment, cDAQ carriers are supported (so e.g. NI-9178 and most C Series modules), but that's about it as far as USB DAQmx goes. We aren't actively working on any additional USB support for Linux right now, but it is in regular review, and there's potential for it to get prioritized. We just haven't seen a large-scale need for it yet. But I'd love to get a better run-down from you on how USB DAQmx fits into your workflow.

Most of the rest of DAQmx is supported on Desktop Linux already. And that link you are looking at is the best way to get down to the granular level of exactly which hardware is supported where.

If you'd rather chat than type up a whole bunch here, I'm happy to schedule a meeting.

-dousley

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,192 Views)

Hi Dousley,

The DAQ outputs will be used as inputs to a relay driver IC going to solid-state relays to control power delivery to the system. We are also considering purchase of some NI programmable power supplies with metering capabilities (for which we'd also need Ubuntu support).

Our Ubuntu distro is 22.04 LTS. The following page shows Ubuntu NI-DAQmx support. (It also prescribes NI LabView and MS VisualStudio...not sure what to do about all that yet). Suffice it to say, the SW requirements and installation steps to support the USB 6501 and DAQmx on Ubuntu is confusing. Can the NI team can lay it out a bit more step-by-step for users in one simple guide?

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-daqmx.html#467703

As a quick aside, Python is also significant part of our systems. Is this PyPI project NI-official? I haven't looked into or tested it yet and will probably do so in the coming weeks.

https://pypi.org/project/daqmx/

-RP

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,177 Views)

@RoboPuppy , 
1) Thanks for the insight on the DAQ output from USB.

2) Programmable power supplies from NI. Most of the NI-DCPower devices (excepting legacy devices) are already supported on Linux Desktop (and specific to your case, on Ubuntu), I'd just recommend taking a look at the NI Hardware and Software Operating System Compatibility page to be sure the OS support is there once you narrow down to whatever particular models you are interested in.

2) USB-6501 - It's not supported on Linux. Most other USB devices from NI are not supported either. I'm not sure if there was still doubt about this. But it is not supported, and there is not currently any work in progress to add support for it to Linux. But that doesn't mean it's ruled out forever, it's just that we have not yet developed a strong business case for the investment required to get it working well on Linux.

3) Confusing messaging on Linux support/installation from the "Download NI-DAQmx" page. Thank you for the feedback. This is confirmation for a need to rework our download pages for Linux. We had identified that this part of our web page is really confusing for Linux users and is riddled with misdirection because of the difference in models for how installation works on Windows vs Linux. We have done some design work to significantly modify the structure of these pages so as to funnel Linux users toward the pages that they need to find. But it hasn't been rolled out yet. If you're interested in it, I'd love to have you provide feedback on the new design whenever we get closer in on the roll out of the new download pages.

Here's the short story of how to do right now though:
All NI Driver SW for Linux (including NI-DAQmx) is available from an NI repo. It just installs like any other Linux package from the command line. We have a download page for a repo registration package that can make it simple to register whichever NI Linux repo you need (there are different ones for Ubuntu than for RHEL, and different repos depending on whether you'd prefer a static set of packages or a set that is constantly updated with the latest stream). The download page for the repo registration package is here: 
https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-linux-device-drivers.html#467701
And it has a readme which links out to all the various specific drivers' readmes and also links to the install instructions

FYI, the install instructions are here:
https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/18/downloading-and-installing-ni-driver-...

If you go to any other driver's download page (e.g. NI-DAQmx) and select Linux from the dropdown menu and hit download, it'll deliver you the same Linux Repo Registration packages as I linked above, but without the benefit of anything to explain to you what you're getting.

4) The python project for DAQmx. The official NI one is here: https://pypi.org/project/nidaqmx/

-dousley

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,159 Views)