From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL 6.6 NI-VISA 14.0 - libnipalu.so failed to initialize

Hi  I have Scientific Linux 6.6 installed and am trying to install NI Visa 14.0 it seems to have installed but I also get the libnipalu.so problems.  I've done uninstall  /INSTALL a few times and the same problem, I ran updateNIDrivers as root and it seemed to work, but I still get the libnipalu.so problem when I try to run visaconf .

if I run a labview program without visa resource, it is normal.

I'm not familiar with linux, I'm a windowser, i just know a little linux commands but it's better to give me step by step instructions, how should I troubleshoot this?

I've looked at this thread https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/10446

i have got my system.log, pls see the attach.

thanks, I'm comfuesed by this problem about 1 month already.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,213 Views)

Hi,

it usually happened, when you have 4GB and more RAM installed.

Put here output of dmesg command from terminal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,152 Views)

mig-31 is correct, usually it's because of the 4GB ram thing. From your system.log, I see you have about 4GB of RAM-ish, so that seems to be the problem. Unfortunately system.log file didn't contain BIOS memory map dump, so I can't be sure that's the prob.

Try adding "mem=4096M" to your kernel boot parameter. Search on the internet on "how to add linux kernel boot parameter" you'll get a lot of how-to-s.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,152 Views)

Hi,

mig-31,irwan. Thank you for your solution. It's a long time after I   submitted my question.

I have tried to add "mem=4096M" into my grub.conf file, but I get Error 28:Selected item cannot fit into memory.

Then I delete "mem=4096M" and add " memmap=60G$0x100000000" into my grub.conf file, the result is that I can start NI VISA Configuration without any libnipalu.so error.

But now I can't find any resources in NI VISA Configuration.

Any good advices? thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,152 Views)

What kind of VISA resources do you have on your system? Typically, a machine might have one or more serial ports unless you have added other hardware. By default, the serial ports on Linux are only write-accessible to the root. To check if that is the case, you can either try running the NI-VISA Configuration utility as root, or give non-root read/write access to the files representing the Serial ports (such as /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, etc.). You would typically do this as root by doing:

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS*

If you are trying to access a USB resource, there are similar steps that you need to perform to allow non-root access to the device. For more information, see the NI-VISA readme that is installed on the system.

For TCPIP, you would typically need to add a TCPIP resource using the NI-VISA Configuration utility. For PCI resources, you would need to generate an inf file using the VISA Driver Development Wizard. For GPIB, you would need to install the NI-488.2 driver on the system.

If these don't help, let me know what kind or resources you are using, and I can suggest other things to try.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,152 Views)

hello pankaj:

thank your for your mail. yes, after running my labview under root, my serial port seems normally.

Thanks again.

Ye

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,152 Views)

*DONT* run applications as root !

Fix the device permissions (eg. via udev rule)

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,862 Views)

@duxiao wrote:

hello pankaj:

thank your for your mail. yes, after running my labview under root, my serial port seems normally.

Thanks again.

Ye

Fundamental security rule: never run applications as root !

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,861 Views)