Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL 6.6 NI-VISA 14.0 - libnipalu.so failed to initialize

Hi  I have Scientific Linux 6.6 installed and am trying to install NI Visa 14.0 it seems to have installed but I also get the libnipalu.so problems.  I've done uninstall  /INSTALL a few times and the same problem, I ran updateNIDrivers as root and it seemed to work, but I still get the libnipalu.so problem when I try to run visaconf .

if I run a labview program without visa resource, it is normal.

I'm not familiar with linux, I'm a windowser, i just know a little linux commands but it's better to give me step by step instructions, how should I troubleshoot this?

I've looked at this thread https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/10446

i have got my system.log, pls see the attach.

thanks, I'm comfuesed by this problem about 1 month already.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,215 Views)

Hi,

it usually happened, when you have 4GB and more RAM installed.

Put here output of dmesg command from terminal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,154 Views)

mig-31 is correct, usually it's because of the 4GB ram thing. From your system.log, I see you have about 4GB of RAM-ish, so that seems to be the problem. Unfortunately system.log file didn't contain BIOS memory map dump, so I can't be sure that's the prob.

Try adding "mem=4096M" to your kernel boot parameter. Search on the internet on "how to add linux kernel boot parameter" you'll get a lot of how-to-s.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,154 Views)

Hi,

mig-31,irwan. Thank you for your solution. It's a long time after I   submitted my question.

I have tried to add "mem=4096M" into my grub.conf file, but I get Error 28:Selected item cannot fit into memory.

Then I delete "mem=4096M" and add " memmap=60G$0x100000000" into my grub.conf file, the result is that I can start NI VISA Configuration without any libnipalu.so error.

But now I can't find any resources in NI VISA Configuration.

Any good advices? thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,154 Views)

What kind of VISA resources do you have on your system? Typically, a machine might have one or more serial ports unless you have added other hardware. By default, the serial ports on Linux are only write-accessible to the root. To check if that is the case, you can either try running the NI-VISA Configuration utility as root, or give non-root read/write access to the files representing the Serial ports (such as /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, etc.). You would typically do this as root by doing:

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS*

If you are trying to access a USB resource, there are similar steps that you need to perform to allow non-root access to the device. For more information, see the NI-VISA readme that is installed on the system.

For TCPIP, you would typically need to add a TCPIP resource using the NI-VISA Configuration utility. For PCI resources, you would need to generate an inf file using the VISA Driver Development Wizard. For GPIB, you would need to install the NI-488.2 driver on the system.

If these don't help, let me know what kind or resources you are using, and I can suggest other things to try.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,154 Views)

hello pankaj:

thank your for your mail. yes, after running my labview under root, my serial port seems normally.

Thanks again.

Ye

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,154 Views)

*DONT* run applications as root !

Fix the device permissions (eg. via udev rule)

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,864 Views)

@duxiao wrote:

hello pankaj:

thank your for your mail. yes, after running my labview under root, my serial port seems normally.

Thanks again.

Ye

Fundamental security rule: never run applications as root !

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,863 Views)