Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please suggest a suitable Digital to Analog Card...

Hi All,

We bought NI PCI - 6722 DAC card and tried make it work for the Fedora Core 8.  However, the system crashed after installing the driver. Could anyone please suggest a suitable DAC card that works with Fedora Core 8?

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,739 Views)

Which driver did you install? And what kind of crash did you experience? More information please!

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,420 Views)

Hi Joe,
      Thank you very much for the reply. Initially, I tried installing the NI-DAQmx 8.0 for Linux, however I encountered several problems. I have gone through some of the support questions and their answers and based on that I installed NI-DAQmx 8.0.1 and the installation was successful. When I rebooted the machine, the system was crashed and following is the information that was logged

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000636. Recursive die() failure, output suppressed.

If you need more information on the same, I can recapture and send the information as soon as possible.

Regards,
Ram

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,420 Views)

Ram,

My guess is that you have run into the ever popular 4K stack issue.  The National Instruments NI-DAQmx driver requires an 8K kernel stack for some devices and operations.  Unfortunately we don't have a complete list of all the devices that don't work, since finding all the workable combinations would be very costly.  We chose not to support RHEL 5 and Fedora for this very reason.  Many other distros still have an 8K stack and don't run into these problems.  All this being said, I have had reasonable success using M-Series boards with Fedora 8 and 9.  These only have up to 4 AO channels, but I know they work reasonably well.

Regards,

Neil S.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,420 Views)

Thanks for the information and it was quite helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,420 Views)