Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIDAQmx 8.0.1f0 install problems on OpenSuse 11.0

Hello

I'm currently trying to install NIDAqmx 8.0.1 on OpenSuse 11.0 (kernel 2.6.25.20-0.1-default) after giving up to install it on Suse 11.1. However I keep on having errors during installation. I believe I've fulfilled all the items that I stepped on both on the readme.txt and in the NI forums, like:

a) getting the right kernel configuration by using "make cloneconfig" and "make modules_prepare" on my  /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.20-0.1/

b) defining KERNELHEADERS in your environment to point to the location of the kernel headers as suggested during installation

something like      export KERNELHEADERS=/lib/modules/2.6.25.20-0.1-default/build/

I happened to get it installed (at least I believe so because didn't give any errors and echoed a "sucessfully installed" message), but I got erros running nilsdev because modules were not found (nimdbkg as I recall).

Could you please help me with some suggestion of what I'm missing here?

My final goal is to get NIDAQmx to work with a NI PCI 6509 digital I/O module with Suse.

Thank you

JC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,994 Views)

Hi there again

Just came to my mind that I'm using Suse 11.0 x86_64. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for your attention.

JC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,174 Views)

JC,

That is a problem alright.  NI-DAQmx 8.0.1f0 only supports the 32-bit version of the OS.  It is a 32 bit driver.

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,174 Views)

Hi,

Although SuSE 11.0 is supported according to the readme I was unable to install NIDAQmx 8.0.1f0 on

the 32bit version until I recompiled the kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS not set. Can

anyone confirm this or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,

Frank.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,174 Views)

That sounds like you are using openSUSE 11.1, instead of 11.0.  Either that or maybe you've installed a custom kernel?  Maybe you've enabled the openSUSE Factory repositories or in some other fashion installed the 11.1 kernel?

If you post the output of niSystemReport that may help answer some of the questions.  Of course if you have things working its not a big deal anyway.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,174 Views)

Could it be the PAE kernel that's the problem?   I believe it is installed by default in Opensuse 11.1.  We had issues with this and overrode the default selection of the pae kernel at the install phase and then selected the "default" (non-pae) kernel.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,174 Views)

Hi Shawn,

Any idea on NI-KAL for Opensuse 11.1 ?

-Anshul

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,174 Views)

Well, no. It was definitely 11.0. I installed the 32bit version on a 64bit machine. The kernel was 2.6.25.20-0.1-pae or something after applying all updates. Nothing special, everything default from DVD and YOU. I also set mem=4096M as boot parameter. The drivers did compile but did not load. When trying to load nikal manually I got something like 'wrong file format'. All was fine after I recompiled the kernel as described above.

Of course it's not a big deal anymore but it's rather inconvenient, esp. if you have nvidia graphic or if there are kernel updates. In the meantime a installed the SuSE realtime kernel (successfully after recompilation, including NIDAQmx) and next week I will try jengelh's realtime kernel. So I don't know if niSystemReport is still useful.

To answer Jeff2's question: I also tried 11.0 in VirtualBox (default, no pae). Same behavior. So I don't think it's a PAE issue.

Thank you very much for you quick answer! Best regards,

Frank.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,174 Views)